Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Libby

Hayley Westenra

203 posts in this topic

I am a huge fan of Hayley Westenra. I think she's one of the best singers in the world. If you're a fan, too, let's discuss her here. If you're not familiar with her, I encourage you to check her out!

http://www.hayleywestenra.com/

http://www.hayley-westenra-international.com/

Hayley is from New Zealand, but now records in London. She was named the best-selling classical artist of the 21st century in 2007. When she was only 15, her first international album, Pure was the fastest-selling classical album by a debut artist in history. It went straight to No. 1 in the classical UK charts, and No. 8 in the pop album charts. Her other albums are Odyssey, Celtic Treasure, River of Dreams (greatest hits, UK release), and her newest album, Winter Magic. Her next album, a collaboration with Ennio Morricone, is expected to be out early 2011.

I love Hayley's music because her voice is so pure and beautiful, and she sings and writes such beautiful songs. Her own songs are her best, in my opinion. She loves sharing her gift of music with the world and, just like Josh, she never does anything that gets her in the tabloids.

Hayley is the youngest ambassador for UNICEF, with her Bikes for Ghana campaign. This helps girls get an education by making it easier and safer to get to school. She's also involved in a project to prevent the spread of Guinea worm, by creating clean water sources.

I love Hayley. I have three of her cd's! The funny thing is that I heard of her off of a Wii game- Endless Ocean. She sings all the songs on there, and I loved them so I bought her cd's. My favorite song she did is Prayer. She has such a lovely voice- I would love to meet her!

Is winter magic good? I had no clue she was that young when she first started. It's amazing how many talented teenager's there are in this world!

Hi, thanks for posting on my thread. And, I for one, am a HUGE fan of Hayley. She has such a pure and sweet voice. And she shares the of the same beliefs I share about animals lol.

Yes, Winter Magic is really good. She wrote 3 songs on the album, Christmas Morning, All With You, and Peace Shall Come, and they're all wonderful, especially the last 2. Her vocals on Silent Night and Veni Veni Emmanuel are especially gorgeous. I also really like The Coventry Carol; I wasn't familiar with it before, but it's beautiful and haunting. Winter's Dream is really good, too. In a few songs, her voice sounds lower and lighter sounding than I expected. I'm not all that crazy about Chestnuts, but then I never really liked that song much anyway. The arrangement of Carol of the Bells is superb.

Here's a sampler of Winter Magic, here:

I forgot to mention her 2 Japanese albums Hayley Sings Japanese Songs 1 and 2. She sings popular Japanese songs in English, but a few in Japanese! They're available from CDJapan, if anyone's interested.

Hayley was only about 12 or 13 when she recorded her very, very first album, Walking in the Air, but that was only intended for family and friends, so it is no longer available. She was later signed with Universal NZ, and recorded 2 albums for release in NZ & Australia, called Hayley Westenra and My Gift to You.

Before all that, she had been involved with all kinds of musical productions and "talent quests" in Christchurch. She even played one of the seven dwarves along with her younger sister! I think she was Dopey. ;)

Hayley was only about 12 or 13 when she recorded her very, very first album, Walking in the Air, but that was only intended for family and friends, so it is no longer available. She was later signed with Universal NZ, and recorded 2 albums for release in NZ & Australia, called Hayley Westenra and My Gift to You.

Before all that, she had been involved with all kinds of musical productions and "talent quests" in Christchurch. She even played one of the seven dwarves along with her younger sister! I think she was Dopey. ;)

Hi Libby, thanks for spreading the word.

Hi, Pete! :)

Actually, Hayley was 15 when she recorded the album Pure, but she was 16 when the album was released.

Hey, I could be wrong, but are you referring to Chloe (celtic women) when you said Walking in the Air- because that's her cd. Your welcome, I love her so much and I'm happy to share my thoughts about her with other fans!

I like Haley Westenra. She has a beautiful voice.

I saw her perform during the Classical Brit Awards in 2008 in a duet with

Jonathan Ansell. They sang "Un giorno per noi".

Than I bought her cd "Treasure". It is often in my cd player!!

Doortje

Hey, I could be wrong, but are you referring to Chloe (celtic women) when you said Walking in the Air- because that's her cd. Your welcome, I love her so much and I'm happy to share my thoughts about her with other fans!

No, I'm not referring to Chloe, although I'm aware her album has the same title.

As I said, this was Hayley's very first recording, originally intended for family and friends. It iscalled Walking in the Air. That is one of the songs she always sang when she went busking in Christchurch. People who heard her sing asked if she had a CD they could buy, so Hayley's mum made lots of new copies of the CD. However, no copies are being made anymore, so it is no longer available.

Since Hayley is a little older than Chloe, and she did this when she was 12, this CD was out long before Chloe's was.

I am one of the biggest Hayley fans you'll ever meet, so there's not much chance I would mistake Chloe for Hayley!

But I will say that I enjoy Chloe's version of Walking in the Air more than Hayley's.

I'll have to check the winter magic cd now! Sounds great!

Yes, it's very good. :) I highly recommend it. It's not just for Christmas time, but for the whole season, which is what she wanted it to be.

No, I'm not referring to Chloe, although I'm aware her album has the same title.

As I said, this was Hayley's very first recording, originally intended for family and friends. It iscalled Walking in the Air. That is one of the songs she always sang when she went busking in Christchurch. People who heard her sing asked if she had a CD they could buy, so Hayley's mum made lots of new copies of the CD. However, no copies are being made anymore, so it is no longer available.

Since Hayley is a little older than Chloe, and she did this when she was 12, this CD was out long before Chloe's was.

I am one of the biggest Hayley fans you'll ever meet, so there's not much chance I would mistake Chloe for Hayley!

But I will say that I enjoy Chloe's version of Walking in the Air more than Hayley's.

Oh, sorry. I never heard of that one before, so I was kind of confused. I do love Chloe's version though! Sorry for the mixup!

Anther great Hayley song is Across the universe in time. I love that song!

I like that one too!

The song is on her DVD, and she sings with her sister! Watch here:

There are a lot of fans from Germany; there are a couple fans who frequently travel to the UK to attend her concerts. It's a good thing, too, because one of them is the best photographer ever! I'm always happy when he is at her concerts. I wish I could go, too, but no U.S. dates that we know of anytime soon. :(

Have you ever seen her in concert in Germany? I know they haven't let her go back there in a while because the last time she was there, they had problems with stalkers. :unsure: Hopefully they won't keep her away forever, though. I think those German fans who regularly attend her UK concert have definitely earned a concert right in their country, after all the support they've given her, and all the travelling they've done to see her.

Sadly I haven't seen her in concert, ever.

Yeah, I mean I can understand that they want to keep Hayley safe. But it's not fair to keep Hayley away from all her German fans just because of this one creep.

I like that one too!

The song is on her DVD, and she sings with her sister! Watch here:

I didn't even know she had a sister. I want to get one of her dvd's sooooooooo bad. I mean I only heard of her about a year ago, but what excuse is that?

I didn't even know she had a sister. I want to get one of her dvd's sooooooooo bad. I mean I only heard of her about a year ago, but what excuse is that?

Her sister Sophie is really talented as well.

The "Live from New Zealand" DVD is brilliant!

Hayley really needs to record a duet with Josh. They'd sound amazing together.

I think there might have been 2 creeps; one of them actually physically harassed her (tried to grab her arm in passing her and her management team), and another one who sent inappropriate e-mails to her e-mail (which her parents receive as well). She told about this in her book, In Her Own Voice. It's a very interesting book! Yeah, I agree, she shouldn't be kept away forever because of them.

Yes, Anna, you really need this DVD! It's wonderful. There's a Maori dance at the beginning, and then she comes out singing "Pokarekare Ana". It's quite a dramatic opening! There's also bonus features, interviews with Hayley and her parents, and some beautiful New Zealand scenery set to an instrumental version of Hine e Hine (from Pure).