Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
krmujn

Any Granny grobanites?

2,922 posts in this topic

Diane, I can certainly see why you are so anxious about the cause of your cough and cold symptoms. I'm so sorry you have this additional worry in your life.

I am dealing with my father right now, who had a stroke on Dec. 21st. He's currently in a rehab facility, but he wants desperately to come home. I pray that will be a viable option for him, otherwise I will have to put him in an assisted living facility. It's been a real emotional roller coaster caring for his needs. I can't afford to retire yet.

My grandson, Colin, had surgery a few weeks ago to correct a badly done circumcision. He seems to be healing nicely now. Charlotte is quite the pistol and very curious and busy all the time. She was 3 in October. She really raked in the toys at Christmas.

Sending prayers to you, Diane. I hope your worries are unfounded.

***waves to Rachael*** - hope you are doing ok.

Peggy, I know you are well from the GG thread.

You sure have your hands full, Brenda. I pray your father has a significant recovery from his stroke. I have read the posts of others while you were there dealing with him, so know you have both been held in prayer. So good that Colin is healing nicely. It is such fun watching the little ones learn and grow. Three is a fun age. Personality traits really exhibit themselves and we get a glimpse of who the grandchildren are becoming. I hope you got to spend some quality time with both kids. 

I didn't work this weekend and stayed home from church as well. Except from pulling a muscle in my abdomen from coughing, I think I'm feeling the beginnings of the end of this crud.

Tomorrow I get my internet checked. I paid an extra fee so I won't get a big charge for having them come out. Being home so long with spotty internet has been a challenge. I refuse to upgrade if they can't provide what I'm already paying for. I think I should get a discount for putting up with it for so long.

Hope the new year gets better for you soon.

Thanks so much, Diane. Your words are very encouraging. Yes, it seems like you are definitely not getting what you've been paying your hard earned money for. I do hope they can put it right for you. It's amazing how we get so attached to our internet connection. It's a huge part of life now. May this be the start of you being on the mend and feeling much, much better. ***sending prayers your way, too***

I want to post again since I am not in such a dour mood. My kids have sold their house and Amber is scrambling to pack for the move. I will be going down to help for the next couple of weeks, a few days per week. I started working on addressing some health issues, including making an appointment with the counselor I have seen in the past. She is no longer at the cancer center, but she can still see me. I suspect many of my complaints originate from some depression. I have agreed to see a GI doc. Will reserve judgement on that until after I see him. I need to build up some trust in the medical community. Strange, I know, coming from a person who has worked in hospitals since 1968.

My internet stays connected now, although it still is very slow. I have reconsidered getting a better internet/TV package since they don't deliver well on the low end of the service contract. Unfortunately my location limits my options. I could live without TV easier than without internet.

I hope all are faring well in the wake of the storms. We were not hit too hard, compared to the East Coast. I am wondering about Rachel and her husband, since we haven't heard from her in a while. I say a little prayer whenever I think about her.

Diane, when you say your kids are moving, is your granddaughter, Sam, involved in that move? By the way, I don't think I've ever known about your children: how many do you have, ages, what they do, etc.

My husband and I have 2 daughters---one (Sara) will be 34 in February (she is the mother of Colin). She works in Washington, DC at the Department of Veterans Affairs.  The other (Shelley) is 30 (she's the mother of Charlotte). She's a nurse at one of the local hospitals. Shelley lives near us- about 10 minutes away. Sara lives about 1 1/2 hours away, further north. We live in central Virginia.

This snow storm was the worst I have ever witnessed - a true blizzard in every sense of the word. It will be one for the books. This area doesn't see snow like that very often.

Yes, Sam will be moving. The home they are moving to belonged to my daughter-in-law's grandparents. They are remodeling and adding on a new living room and master bathroom.Sam didn't know that house before, though,because the grandparents lived with her parents by the time Sam was born.

I have two sons: Matt is the eldest--his wife is Angie and their kids are Alex (19) and Emily (14), and Chris is the one who lives in St. Louis--his wife is Amber and Sam is 4.

Sorry about all your snow. We got nowhere near that amount. We were very fortunate.

Diane, so the house will be new to Sam then. Is it further from you? I hope they will enjoy the newly refurbished surroundings. So where do Matt and Angie live? Do you see their children very often?

I talked with Charlotte on the phone last night. It was hilarious! A 3 year old doesn't quite have the art of conversation down pat, but it was fun to hear what she wanted to talk about. I didn't always catch everything she said, but I had a blast. We haven't seen her in 2 weeks due to the huge snowstorm that hit. But we plan to go over there Friday night to see her.

It's great that Charlotte will talk on the phone. At 3, Sam was way too distracted with whatever she was playing with to talk to me. I love how the little ones can pop up with topics out of thin air, though. Letting them take the lead instead of asking them a lot of questions is more fun,I think.

Matt and Angie live about 15 miles west of Springfield in a little town called Pleasant Plains. Matt works in Springfield as a firefighter so he is in town a lot. Alex works in Springfield, at a nursing home and goes to community college here as well. That said, I don't see them too often. Their schedules are so busy, and I work and sleep days on the weekends. I used to go to Alex's football games and band concerts, but high school is over now. I admit, I don't make the effort I probably should to invite them over for dinner and such. I want to motivate myself to be better about that. 

Diane, I am kind of lax on inviting family over for dinner, too. If you're sleeping during the days on weekends, then I'm sure that makes it harder to find the time to get with Matt's family.

I am so lazy as I get older. But when I do make the effort to invite one or both daughters and their families, we always have fun. I know I don't always cook the kind of things they really like because I tend to just stick with the southern dishes I grew up enjoying. I don't venture too much into really crazy things with lots of spices or hot peppers. One time I did make chili according to a recipe I got off of allrecipes.com. It was a big hit because it wasn't bland, like I usually cook. Since I have acid reflux, I can't really eat anything with heightened flavors, but every now and then I'll try something new just to serve to the kids and their husbands. Charlotte even liked that chili. She loves Italian type foods, like pizza and spaghetti. So are you in the St. Louis area? My mind is so bad. We've driven through there many times back when Alan's parents still lived in Kansas.

I'm in Springfield Illinois. It's about 95 miles from St Louis. I just got home tonight, as I have been watching Sam so Amber can work on the moving process. I don't eat spicy at all. Same issue. I'm actually going to see a gastro doctor in about 6 weeks. I don't expect much, but I got worried when I had a flare-up recently. 

Diane, speaking of flare ups and reflux issues, I have been on PPI's for 20 years and now have osteoporosis. I am now on my 3rd gastro doctor because I found the other 2 to be total jerks. The one I go to now has a much better manner with patients, but I don't feel I am being managed. I told him about 8 months ago that I really want to get off of PPI's now and that I'm considering surgery, but that I don't want the Nissen fundoplication because of the side effects I've read about. He said he would not recommend any other procedure because the data isn't in suggesting that they are any better. I've read about the TIF procedure and LINX. I know if I go back to my gastro doctor he won't recommend either of them. I really don't know where to turn now. In the meantime, my body is absorbing all these chemicals in the PPI's and my list of foods I can eat is getting smaller and smaller. It's just such a frustrating battle. Do you have much faith in your doctor?

I haven't met the gastro doctor yet. My internist is new to me, as my previous doctor retired. So far I am not impressed. After I see the GI guy, I may look for another primary. I loved my former doctor, so it is hard to trust someone new. Once I get a sense of what I am dealing with, it may be easier to make a choice about treatment. The internist said my bone density was normal, but when I read the report myself it doesn't add up. No osteoporosis, but osteopenia. I would rather not wait until it progresses. Sometimes I think the doctors assume I am stupid when I am not. My symptoms are actually a little better, but I have had problems for such a long time I want to go ahead and get checked out. 

It's definitely hard to "break in" a new doctor. Nowadays, they spend so little time with each patient that it seems the days of the doctor really knowing you are slowly going away. There are practitioners here who will take people for a fairly high fee, but they spend lots of time with each person and get to know their needs inside and out. I can't quite buy in to that since the cost of living is pretty high anyway. I hope your gastro dr will turn out to be someone who knows a thing or two.

It looks like this thread has been neglected for a while.

Diane, how are things with you? What ever happened after your appointment with the gastro Doctor?

I have some news to report. We are looking forward to a third grandchild that should be arriving in November! At this point, the sex of the baby is unknown. Charlotte is going to be a big sister. She'll turn 4 in October.

Also, I am starting testing to see if I'm a candidate for surgery for GERD. My symptoms are worse and the proton pump inhibitors are not working very well anymore. Plus the side effects aren't optimum.

Would love to hear from Rachael again. I "see" Peggy on Facebook a lot.

Hope all of you are doing ok.

Sadly, it looks like this thread is fading out..........

It was fun talking about the grandkids while it lasted.

Gilda, I think that counts, too. So tell us all about your cats......would love to know!

Diane, Rachael, are you guys around anymore?? I guess this thread is on its way out, sadly.

Oh my. It is more than a year since any of us posted about our grandkids or grandcats. Is anyone still here?

I haven't posted here for a long time. A few thing have changed for me. I was renting a house and my landlady/neighbor died suddenly, so I chose to buy the house so I wouldn't have to move. I still drive to St Louis to see my granddaughter, but less often than I had been. My oldest grandchild and only grandson is about to join the Navy. I have been a little more active, but am also having some health issues. Nothing serious, just annoying things I have to stay on top of. I am much less depressed, which makes dealing with it all easier. I hope you and all the grannies are well. I still read some of the threads here and on fojg, but I never post anymore. I don't feel like anyone knows me, but that's okay. Maybe we will have new music one of these days! I hope...

Edited by paxinterra
Spelling

My gosh, you have had a lot going on over the past year or so! I think I am like you, in that I read a lot more than I post. I do love hearing what everyone is up to and miss the active community we once enjoyed here.

I don't have grandchildren yet (and perhaps never will...), but our "Grand-cat" is staying with us for the next while. Her "mom" and "dad" are travelling a lot at the moment for their respective work, and also are in the process of moving to a new city, which would be very rough for poor little kittycat. The territorial wrangling with our four cats has fallen off sharply over the past few days, which is a relief!

According to something I saw on Twitter recently, Josh apparently is recording again! I definitely am ready for some new music and am feeling quite excited about this project! Some original material would be fantastic this time. And maybe a tour at some point?

I'm looking forward to a tour as well. There are usually one or two locations within driving distance for me, which makes attending possible. I have a cat, too. She was a grand-cat that I ended up with somehow. She has had recent health issues and I'm not sure how old she is, but I've gotten used to her so I hope she's around for a while. It does get expensive maintaining her health, though. My son and d-i-l would never take her back now so it's up to me.