Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Space Cadet Mary

Figure Skating Fans

1,642 posts in this topic

Not sure if it's still in effect but it was a funny rule.  And it may have been a rule for ice dance but I don't know for sure.  It more restricted teams from falling onto the ice like they're dying.  At the end of the Bolero program, you can see how Torvill and Dean did it and that's what the ISU didn't like.  If you remember the end of Naomi and Peter's Romeo and Juliet program, she falls into his arms to represent death.  A different way of doing it but still gets the point across.

Oh, I had heard about Tara getting married.  I knew there was something I forgot to mention :lol:

I don't remember all of Naomi & Peter's programs. The only competitive program I really remember was the one to the Scorpions song... Still Loving You, I think. I watched it again recently. I think it was that one that made me notice them, because it was more contemporary and edgy than most other programs. I have always remembered one of the lifts, too. Here it is, since there's nothing new at the moment:

You know what I just realized?  I meant to say Melissa and Denis' program to Romeo and Juliet.  I don't think Naomi and Peter ever skated to that music.  Romeo and Juliet never seemed to be their style. 

Ah yes, I remember that program.  I always thought they were like the Bourne and Kraatz of the US in terms of style and usually thinking out of the box.

First, here's a short clip of Jason and his dad singing something from Hamilton; not enough to really get what the song is like, but... is it just me, or would you never have guessed Jason's singing voice sounds so different from his talking voice? LOL I never would have guessed that was him singing if I couldn't see who it was and nobody told me. LOL

Here's a gif (or is it a tumblr?) from their Worlds' program, just 'cause. :lol:

So, this show looks interesting! Too bad it won't be televised where we can see it. But, look! Evgeni Plushenko is there! :lol: Meryl & Charlie will be there, as well.

:lol:  Yeah, I saw Meryl and Charlie tweet about it.  Even though we can't watch it,  I'd suffer through a Plushenko program if it meant I got to see Stephane.  I miss him so much!

Oh, and based on their instagram photos, they're currently working with Lori Nichol. :) Here are the photos (I didn't know who she was till they said, since I've probably rarely, if ever, seen her face).

Aha! Here we go (I was going to re-do the post above with this, but I couldn't figure out how to delete the social media posts. Oh well). Do you know who Linda Garneau is?

I've only seen a picture of Lori Nichol maybe a handful of times so I can never remember what she looks like.  Linda Garneau doesn't sound familiar to me.  I can't find much about her online either.  The only thing I could find that she's a dance instructor based in Toronto.

She doesn't look familiar to me at all.  Surely she's choreographed other things but I've never heard of her.

Yes, her bio says she's choreographed a wide variety of things, and they actually list "ice" last. I would guess that she's more of a secondary choreographer. Although, with Nikolai as their coach, and he choreographs, too, Lori already seems as though she's a "secondary" choreographer, at least to their current coaching team. She's a very prominent one in the skating world, so she's not secondary as far as that is concerned. Linda is probably on the team for additional creativity and ideas for the type of program they want to do. When Allison Holker did their Humanity in Motion program, some of the lifts were clearly new ones created by her, but some of their other ones were the old go-to ones, either by Shae-Lynn or Pasquale/Angelika.

You're probably right.  It would seem harder to have so many choreographers on board, especially when the coach choreographs too.  Too many cooks, as it were.  I'd probably feel that way but teams may not. 

Yeah, like Marina Zueva is the Shibutanis' coach/choreographer, yet a couple seasons ago, their free dance was choreographed by Peter Tchernychev (as was K & A's that same season).

I just saw that Ashley's program will be La La Land, via US Figureskating.

Here's Jason's Hamilton program announcement/documentary. LOL

I'm sure you saw on Twitter that Meryl is engaged.  She's a sneaky one because I had NO idea she and Fedor have been dating for over 6 years!  It looks like I would have known if I was on Instagram :P  The ring is GORGEOUS!!

Actually, I heard it from my sister. LOL I heard that she'd been dating him back when she was on DWTS, since there was so much gossip about whether she and her partner were dating.