Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Space Cadet Mary

Figure Skating Fans

1,622 posts in this topic

Yes, I saw your tweets about San Diego, so I figured it out. I then remembered you'd mentioned it beforehand on twitter, as well.

I went to the SOI show in Seattle on Saturday night! It was very nice. I'll tell more about it in another post.

The only news I can think of at the moment is that I believe Adam Rippon has switched to Frank Carroll, based on a photo he posted of himself with him:

And just because, here are some funny, cute things to share, too. Here's a funny video of Brian Boitano and Jason at the Skating Spectacular (nationals gala) showing Jason some choreography to incorporate into his program:

And here's a little video Zach Donohue took prior to the Seattle SOI show, with some related photos following (turn your sound up to hear what Adam says, and it'll make more sense): Oh, and I have no idea why they're lugging their luggage across the ice. LOL

How is this a death drop? LOL

:lol:  That part of Jason's program makes much more sense now after watching that video.  And yeah, why did they have to haul their luggage across the ice?  Surely there was a way around.  What a lovable diva Adam is :P  Those pictures are hilarious.  That's an interesting move to Frank.  I thought Frank Carroll said he was going to stop travelling to competitions but I guess he didn't mean he would stop coaching completely.

LOL I don't even remember seeing that move in Jason's program. I do remember the "worm", though, because I think the commentators had something to say about it. Oh, and after his splits at the end, Carol Lane said, Now that's a way to end", and Kurt says, "... your career!" :lol: Speaking of which, Adam did a very painful-looking split pose onto the ice at SOI. He practically slammed himself onto the ice, and then got right back up afterwards. It wasn't even the ending pose! LOL yes, I love seeing Adam's posts and moves on the ice. I also love seeing his posts to, about, or from Ashley. Recently on Ashley's birthday, his post to her called her "the pain in my butt". :lol: His part in that Sound of Silence last year was particularly moving as far as the choreography. However, Patrick Chan performed the same part in Canada, and yet it was nowhere near as moving as Adam's performance of the same thing. In fact, Elvis Stojko was the only one in the Canadian performance that I found anywhere near as effective as the Americans'.

I'm not sure, but I think Jason might be working with David Wilson (or someone Canadian), because he's spent the past few days in Toronto with his dad. Typically when a non-Canadian skater has been in Canada during training season, it's a choreography thing. Though of course Rohene appears to have already contributed his work to Jason's new programs. But of course, skaters tend to work with additional choreographers along with their main ones. K & A always had Shae-Lynn Bourne, but once used the work of contemporary dancer Allison Houlker of So you think you can Dance. Last season (15/16), they worked with Peter Tchernychev on their FD, as did the Shibutanis, I believe. And now they've worked with Stephane Lambiel. As for what they were doing in LA, the thought occurred to me that maybe it was Misha Ge. He lives there, and he choreographed one of Gracie's show numbers, so it might be a possibility. Also, based on a tweet they shared not too long ago, they might be skating to Paradise by Coldplay. They showed this list that said, "Fix you", "Evolution", "Paradise".

Another thing that's gotten me wondering is that K & A have been tweeting photos and commentary quotes from their break out program, Je Suis Malade. Could they bring that back for the Olympics? That would be interesting, but I have to say, I'd prefer something new. Especially since they have a new coach, and the fact that their skill level has and still needs to improve, since that program.

So, I guess the GP assignments are out. K & A got Skate Canada and France. Apparently the France one has been changed to Les Internationaux des France now, instead of Trophee Eric Bompard (and Trophee Lalique, way back when). I can only assume T & S will be in Canada as well, which means the 2 teams will go head to head. So of course K & A won't win. I just looked, and Madi & Zach are there, too, so they might beat them, too, unless K & A start doing extra good. I do hope they improve on this last season, because I want them to do well. Of course at this point there's little to no chance they'll medal at the Olympics (I'm kind of expecting this year's Worlds to be the result). But I still want them to place higher than 7th, which is what they got last time. Maybe 5th wouldn't be out of the question.

The line-up in France isn't much better for K & A. There's the French team, and Madi & Evan. So, they'll likely be on the podium, just no gold medals.

And guess what, Skate America is last! First is Rostelcom Cup, then Skate Canada, then China, then Japan, then France, and then America.

The top US ice dance teams are as follows:

Shibutanis: Russia, America

Hubbell & Donohue: Canada, Japan

Chock & Bates: China, France

And, I see that the Shibutanis are the only team that have a serious crack at the gold medal. They're the only US team who don't have a top team to contend with. Hubbell & Donohue have T & S in Canada and Japan. Madi & Evan get the French team in both their assignments too! And the Shibs are free of anyone else who would have a serious shot at beating them. Conspiracy? ;) That means that the top 3 world medallists will all very likely win their GP events. Nothing new; this is how they worked it last time with M & C and T & S.

The assignments came out like 2 months early.  At least, I don't remember them being announced in May.  It's definitely going to be tough for all of our disciplines this season.

I remember them being announced in June, so maybe only a few weeks to a month early. I don't mind! I already know that the SD's are latin dances, too. A WeaverPoje fan mentioned it on twitter a while back. I was assuming they'd something other than the rhumba and samba this time. But I just checked the ISU's ice dance guidelines for the coming season, and it looks like the pattern dance is the rhumba again. The main dances mentioned were rhumba and Cha-cha. I think Cha-cha might have been a requirement for juniors, but not seniors. But again, it's hard to interpret exactly what is meant in the guidelines, because I also read this:

Junior and Senior:
Any number of the following
Latin American Rhythms:
Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, Bachata and any closely related Latin
American Rhythms

I'll always remember the latin dances that "went down" (pun intended!) so well in Torino! :lol:

:lol:  Yes, let's hope we never have a repeat of Torino again!

I've never heard of the Bachata before.  It's a good thing most teams only choose 2-3 different dance patterns.  It would be a mess if some did more than that.

What I've always noticed is that all the teams tend to stick to the same 2 dances. As I mentioned, mambo was an option for the latin dances last time, but I only recall seeing one or 2 couples using it. Everyone else was doing samba. I think maybe samba is more fun, or something. I would guess that most of them will do rhumba and cha-cha, but maybe more of them will decide to other ones, like salsa and samba. I just don't want them to be too similar to last time, because latin dances seem more limiting as far as music goes. On the So You Think You Can Dance show, and DWTS, they tend to use pop songs that have the right rhythm, rather than more authentic music. So that would mean a lot of the same music as last time will return.

It's still hard to believe there were so many dramatic drops and falls during the same event, but it was certainly rivetting television. :lol:

Yeah, it definitely makes for boring skating, IMO.  The teams who stand out to me were the ones who decide to do something different, music and/or rhythm wise.  I think, with skating fans, Torino will always be remembered for that ice dance competition.  Still, one of the most disastrous I've ever seen!

Oh, the point I was trying to make about a lot of the same music as last time returning was that I think the ISU judges would probably prefer they stick to more authentic latin music, rather than the pop songs. You never know, though.

Well, it depends on what kind of skating fan you are. The Japanese will remember Shizuka Arakawa winning the first Olympic gold medal for Japan. Americans remember Sasha Cohen's disaster, and Russian's remember Irina's! ;) Also, ice dancing is still probably not as popular as the other disciplines, even though it's definitely gotten a boost in the last 10 years or so (no, not just because of Torino!  :lol: ). So not everyone watches ice dancing, so some people might have missed it, waiting for the ladies and pairs (I find it a little strange that people still rave about pairs when they've gotten so boring lately, even for the Russians watching their teams!). Especially in the US and Canada, with our teams doing so well on the international scene compared to the way it used to be, with Russians dominating everything. I have to admit, before Belbin and Agosto, and yes, probably Torino, I was not that into ice dancing. I remember my mom watching it (back when ESPN showed everything!), and I would look in occasionally and see Russians skating to stuff I didn't really care for. Then, of course, add in the compulsories, which are not particularly exciting to watch. I did like Naomi Lang & Peter Tchernychev, and the French pair that won in 2002, but other than them, I don't have any clear memories of watching ice dancing.

Well, love is in the air in the skating world these last couple of weeks.  Michal Brezina, Tim Goebel and Isabella Tobias all got married.  Eric Radford proposed to his boyfriend too.  I want to say someone else got married but I can't remember who now.  I wonder what it is about June that makes people want to get married.  If I ever get married, I definitely don't want to get married in June.  It's too hot for me, not to mention, it would be hard for my family to find hotel rooms because we have either a baseball or softball tournament in Mattoon every weekend in June!  Sorry, that has nothing to do with skating, just thinking out loud :lol:

Haha, I don't mind, and I totally agree with you! I've long thought of May as a better choice for me, because I like spring, and because I've long thought of using lilacs, which are blooming then (though they start in late April sometimes). Though I wonder if those would be too strong-smelling. LOL Not to mention June is too popular. Though May can be rainy around here, so I might have to forget any outdoor setting, because weather would be way too unpredictable! And strong flower fragrances can be a little much indoors. Another thought I've always had about what month to choose was that I wanted to choose a month where there were no family birthdays or big holidays. That thought doesn't seem that important anymore. But first, I have to find somebody to marry! :lol::rolleyes:

Yes, I saw Eric's proposal tweet. I also saw that K & A attended Isabella's wedding... BTW, what's with ladies wearing black to weddings?? I would have thought that would be taboo. Unless it's a goth theme, or something. LOL

Did not hear about Timothy, though.

:lol:  Yes, a man is definitely top priority.  My mom hates when I say this but marriage is usually the last thing on my mind.  I have a few ideas, what woman doesn't, but I'm not going to revolve my life around it.  Some people are meant to be single.  I don't know if I'm one of those people or not yet but we'll see.

Well, I'm hoping I'm not meant to be single forever, because I don't want to live with my sister forever (who does want to remain single), but I also don't relish the idea of actually living completely alone (I've never lived on my own, and have no desire to. I look like a 12 yr. old, so the idea of going home to some apartment alone at night with potentially questionable neighbors around does not appeal to me in the least). Those aren't the only reasons, but I do know I don't want to waste time dating guys until I find the right one. I'd rather just find the right one to begin with. I'd rather be single forever than be with the wrong guy. LOL It's a little frustrating though when virtually the only place I go is work, so I think I'll either have to find a fellow employee or a customer to go with. :lol:

Well, I haven't lived by myself either but with my sister deciding to not move to San Diego with me, I'm going to have to get used to it :lol:  I get what you're saying though.  I, too, would much rather say single than be with someone just because.  I believe you have to be comfortable with yourself before getting in a relationship with someone.

Well, I think I could be comfortable being by myself, if not for the vulnerability aspect. And that it might be a little boring. And because I can't do handy stuff. Yeah, I still live at home. I'd rather wait to spend money a place when it's something I actually want to live in, and an apartment just doesn't appeal to me. That huge apartment fire in London is still fresh in my mind; like my mom always says, you're at the mercy of your neighbors. So clearly my parents aren't desperate to kick us out. They're actually better off with us here, because my mom needs so much help with stuff, and my dad already does most of it. It would be worse without us! So I try to comfort myself with that thought. ;) Still, I really want to have my own place eventually.

I know what you mean.  Thankfully, my sister and I aren't completely alone.  We actually live in a house on farmland my dad owns.  My brother still lives with my parents and they live two and a half miles away.  I don't think I would actually mind living alone.  I've always been pretty independent so I don't mind being by myself.  I love my sister but we drive each crazy sometimes.  She's not the best helping with housework and she's very unorganized.  I'd love to be able to organize my house how I want without having someone come along to mess it up :lol:  

My sister helps out with more housework than I do, more because she volunteers than anything else. I'm usually home later than her, and so whatever there is to do, she helps out with, and by the time I get home, there's not much left for me to do other than my own laundry, or something. So, if I don't do any, it's because it's already been done! She then sometimes likes to brag about how much she does around the house and it really irritates me. She's also kind of bossy and scoldy, and even sometimes unkind. So I really would honestly hate to live with her the rest of my life. We get along okay most of the time, and go on trips and shopping (usually thrift stores! :lol: ) together. But while I don't particularly enjoy my job, I feel better about myself when I'm at work, because most of the employees there are nice and fun to be around. I realize that when people live together it's a little dififerent, but even then, I still feel like the rest of the world... minus a few hundred customers... :lol: ... are just generally nicer than my family. ;) So yeah, my potential guy has to be nicer than them, too, or there's no point. LOL

So it seems that Jeremy has officially announced his retirement from competitive skating... not that I believed he would, or should, actually return. I do hope he stays with Stars on Ice for a long time! It's sad that certain other skaters drop off eventually. Or some tour every few years, or something.

In other news, Kaitlyn & Andrew appear to be on vacation in France... together. :D Vaujany, to be exact, in the Rhone-Alpes...? It looks spectacular, however you say it. ;)

Yeah, as much as I miss Jeremy, I'm wasn't too shocked by this.  I'm glad he realized that if he competed, he would be doing it for the wrong reasons.  I'll always go back to Timothy Goebel, who I felt stuck around longer than he should have.  It's better to know you're done than to try and recapture something that will be harder to achieve because skating changed around you but you didn't.  I hope that makes sense :lol:

Yes, it does make sense. How long was Timothy around? He skated around the time when I was not watching every competition for a while. I do remember when he landed all the quads, but I was not watching all the GP events with my mom. I was busy with school, and possibly a bit bored with Michelle winning everything (I admire her, but it took the suspense away too much). I did the same thing with the Price is Right. Now I watch it everyday that I'm off! And I never really got into ice dancing until Belbin & Agosto, though I did like Naomi & Peter.

Actually, it looks like K & A's trip to France is skating related, but not sure how yet.

Tim started as a senior in 1999. I didn't know much about him until the 2001-2002 season though.  I thought he was so adorable with his curly blonde hair.  I know it was more technical than artistic but I still love watching his "An American in Paris" program.  Unfortunately, all the quads started taking a toll so he only had about 2 or 3 good years before the injuries got to him.  But hey, at least he saw the writing on the wall, unlike Plushenko, who stuck around WAY too long!

I've always enjoyed ice dance.  Torvill and Dean were able to compete in 1994 because they IOC changed the rules that prevented professional athletes from competing in the Olympics.  I believe they finished 3rd but, of course, that introduced me to their Bolero program.  Punsalan and Swallow were the top American dance team in the 1990s.  From Canada in the 90s, I really liked Bourne and Kraatz.  Naomi and Peter teamed up around 1996-1997.  I think Punsalan and Swallow retired after Nagano and Naomi and Peter took over from there until, of course, Tanith and Ben.  Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov appeared around that time, too.  They have one of the few Romeo and Juliet programs that don't annoy me :lol: