Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Space Cadet Mary

Figure Skating Fans

1,604 posts in this topic

Of course, he always looks cute :P

Valentina Marchei withdrew from both her Grand Prix assignments.  She's been off the ice for the last month with a knee injury.  I wonder if her attempt at pairs and singles will hurt her in the long run.  It seems a little late in her career to try both disciplines.

Yeah, I don't see much point either way. She always messes up. That sounds mean, but it's true. If she actually ever did win something, it would probably be a one time miracle. LOL I know she's great friends with Kaitlyn & Andrew, though. They went to Italy with her for their vacation, where they photographed Andrew doing his model pose. ;)

She may not be winning any titles but I really do enjoy her skating.  You can really see she likes being on the ice and performing for people.

Yeah, the same thing was true of Akiko Suzuki (another friend of K & A). She always had a wonderful smile, and looked happy on the ice. She messed up a lot too, but she did win a GP title, I think.

The first time I saw or heard of Valentina was at the practice in 2008 at SA. However, she withdrew from that competition. But she was at SA 2012 in Kent. She was the one who had trouble throwing T-shirts to the audience. Her throws kept ending up back on the ice, and when she finally got one up there, it landed in a spot out of reach of the amused Japanese fan/photographer. It was all very amusing. Marissa Castelli just handed hers to my sister, since we were right there in front of her. :D Speaking of which, I've seen Simon in the Champs Camp photos, but I haven't figured out if he has a partner or not.

Oh. No, I didn't remember, and I don't know what she looks like. So, if she was pictured, I didn't know the difference.

:lol:  Here's a link to their page.  It looks kind of funny because there's no pictures of the two of them skating together.

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/team/leng_shnapir

Yeah, and look how they managed to leave Marissa's hand in his in the photo! Obviously it's not Deedee's hand! ;)

Oh, and if you're not fond of Jeremy's current look, try Paul Poirer's (sp?). Not really a fan of his new 'do, a little too much hair for my liking (top right):

BxV_pSyCYAAmiIN.jpg

Oh, and of course I'm confused about seeing Kirsten Moore-Towers there, with no Dylan Moscavitch. I've seen him in photos without her, and now her in a photo without him, and of course I don't know (or remember) who their new partners are.

Oh yeah, I had seen that.  I'm curious to know what happened.  Of course, it is still early in the season.  But she's had way more experience.  I would have figured Mirai's programs were way more advanced compared to most of the field.

In other news: Katelyn Osmond of Canada is out for 6 weeks because of a broken leg.  If I remember correctly, she was out the beginning of last season due to an injury.

I discovered what happened with Mirai.  In the FS, she fell on a triple loop, had 2 under rotated jumps and was downgraded on 1.  She didn't get much credit because she had problems with half her jumps!

Edited by Space Cadet Mary

All right, good to know. I hope she improves this season, but her history of errors, if only very minor, doesn't give me much confidence in her. Too bad, because I do like her.

So not worried about Kaetlyn Osmond. She may be perky and fun, but Joannie Rochette she is not. ;)

It's unfortunate that Mirai has problems with her jumps.  It happens every year so I'm confused as to why she hasn't tried to do something about it.

:lol:  So true about Kaetlyn.  I couldn't help but root for Joannie but Kaetlyn, I can take or leave.  I wasn't all that impressed with her programs last year.

Kaitlyn & Andrew are competing in Oberstdorf, for the first time in 7 years, apparently! So, hopefully an amateur video of their programs will appear soon!!

Jason Brown won Nebelhorn!! :) Haven't seen K & A's program results yet, but maybe by tomorrow I will! :)

In other news... I guess they're allowing vocals in competition now, at least maybe the short program. Have you heard anything about this? Here's proof; Juulia Turkkila of Finland is skating to Whispers in a Dream (Gabriel's Oboe) by Hayley Westenra.

I also saw that Jeremy's SP might be a pop song, too, but at first I thought somebody must be mistaken, but maybe not!

Reinstated? When was it allowed before? And so it's allowed in free programs, too? Oh, I guess since it's "free", that actually makes even more sense. :) It'll be interesting to see how many skaters start using lyrics in their programs now. Not every ice dancer uses lyrics, either, but most do seem to in part of their program.

I wonder why they changed it? To try to get more people to watch skating again, by making the music more "entertaining"?

Lyrics were allowed a loooong time ago.  I read it in a figure skating book awhile back.  I can't remember which now.  I think it's really going to depend on the type of music and if it actually enhances the program.  I can picture a few skaters having success with it.  I just don't want everyone to go and try it.  Of course, I'm sure some skaters don't like the idea of lyrics in their programs anyway.

I think Jason Brown's Prince program from last year would have made more sense to me with lyrics. All it sounded like to me was a bunch of noise! LOL Now, I'm going to have to see if I can find his programs from the event...

Found them! His short is called Juke, and his free is Tristan & Isolde. No lyrics, but the free has choral vocals, but we've heard that sort of thing before. I really liked his free, so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vljfSUg4sI

I like it too.  The outfit seems a little much for me though.  Maybe something more understated.  But, I'm not the one who has to wear it :lol:

Oh yeah, you probably already know, but Kaitlyn & Andrew won! Madison & Evan were 2nd, and they actually won the free dance! So K & A better watch out! They're not completely unbeatable yet. But if M & E could manage to beat them in anything might mean that Igor is trying to not only make them the next US champions, but maybe try to get them to do as well as their former rivals, though they will be a tough act to follow.

The short dance videos have poor sound quality, so for now I'll just post their free dance (actually none of these videos aren't the highest quality).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbYfRqltoYk

I've found that most videos from these little competitions aren't the best but we'll take what we can get I suppose.

I don't know if you've heard but Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov have withdrawn from their GP assignments due to his shoulder injury.  Of course, I would never wish injury on anyone but I'm hoping this will let some other more deserving pairs win an GP competition.

No, I didn't hear. But I am aware that Kavaguti & Smirnov won a medal, I think the silver, at Nebelhorn. So yeah, they're still around. ;)