Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Space Cadet Mary

Figure Skating Fans

1,513 posts in this topic

No worries and no grudges Mary....just a typical internet mishap/misunderstanding.

Btw, I appreciate the link to get the Olympics Tv times. I will be recovering from surgery around that time so it is perfect timing. Not a sports fan really. Only sports I do follow is male figure skating, gymnastics, horse show jumping (so rarely aired here in the US though) and when Sweden is in hockey finals; since my uncle was a pro hockey player.

Hugs

Malin

Hello everyone,

I am a figure skating fan as well.

I enjoyed the European Championship very much and I am looking now forward to the Olympics.

The men's competition is my favourite one. I think Plushenko will win the Olympic medal again. If he skates well during the short program it will be very difficult for anyone else to beat him.

My fave one is Stephane Lambiel - I am very happy he returned to the competions. His exhibition gala program on "Un giorno per noi" is wonderful! He is not a very good jumper but his music interpretation and his spins is what I like most about him.

I think

plushenko will win gold too. He is very good and powerful.

Well, I have to agree with Mary about Plushy. He has no skating artistry. He emphasizes the athleticism rather than the artistry. And I think the new scoring system leans that way, too.

I checked on zap2it and they only go through Feb. 16th right now. It appears that Pairs will be the 15th and 16th, so I'm thinking Men and Ladies FS will be the following week. As I now remember, it usually is towards the end of the events.

Thanks for understanding Malin! Isn't it nice how, even though we may have differences, we can still talk without biting each other heads off? 089.gif I wish I could say it was that way on the Ice Network board. People are fighting all the time. 8 days until the Olys!

I think it is called being an adult and not taking things to heart and knowing there are way worse things then a misunderstanding online...

At least in my world.

Hugs

Malin

Well, I have to agree with Mary about Plushy. He has no skating artistry. He emphasizes the athleticism rather than the artistry. And I think the new scoring system leans that way, too.

I checked on zap2it and they only go through Feb. 16th right now. It appears that Pairs will be the 15th and 16th, so I'm thinking Men and Ladies FS will be the following week. As I now remember, it usually is towards the end of the events.

Plushenko doesn't have artistry at all. He is like Lysacek. I think that is why i love johnny so much. His artistry. He is so graceful and a beautiful skater.

I don't agree with you Lea. I find him having wonderful artistry.

Just take a look at the way he did his "pair skating" alone during the show after... I think it was after the Turino games.. Not sure. Headache day today again.

But that is why we all root for various athletes. We see different things in them and I see a lot of emotions, artistry, perfections and guts when I see Plushenko skate.

Malin

I don't agree with you Lea. I find him having wonderful artistry.

Just take a look at the way he did his "pair skating" alone during the show after... I think it was after the Turino games.. Not sure. Headache day today again.

But that is why we all root for various athletes. We see different things in them and I see a lot of emotions, artistry, perfections and guts when I see Plushenko skate.

Malin

ITA with as to why we root for various athletes. :)

Hope your headache goes away soon. Hope it isn't a migraine. Those are awful.

Thanks, I also hope it will go away soon. Cluster migraine going on 16 months daily... makes a normal migraine feel like a breeze.

Malin

Malin and Lea are correct. Skating would be so boring if we all liked the same skater(s) :D 1 week until the Olympics. I hope the week goes by fast.

Has anyone seen the video of Johnny Weir singing? Sorry to say but it is not good. :o

Sorry, I guess I'm the "sour grapes" person, although I was not only referring to U.S. skaters, I mentioned Joubert and Lambiel, too. :rolleyes: Then of course there are the Japanese guys, although I could do without either of them. :lol: Plushenko already won, so I just think it would be nice if someone else got the chance, someone else who is really good, too. There are several guys who are really, really good; it's just like someone said, nobody will beat him no matter what they do, because the judges are automatically going to give Plushenko huge scores.

Hey, let's talk about Ice Dancing now. The top two U.S. teams, Meryl Davis/Charlie White & Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto, have a really, really good chance of getting medals, possibly gold! :) The Canadians are good, too, and the Russians are, well, Russian. :rolleyes: I think we can break the Russian streak in Ice dancing at least. :D

Then the Chinese pair will probably win for the pairs, breaking another Russian winning streak. :) Shen & Zhao are better than ever this season, and they deserve it. I've always liked them.

I think our teams are the best in the world right now. I haven't seen Dom/Shab to see how they are doing. Dick mentioned something about a possible North American ice dance podium. Wouldn't that be awesome?! I would love to see Shen and Zhao when. What they do when they are on the ice is just beautiful. They definitely deserve the gold after being runner up for so many years. It's too bad no one will remember them winning the bronze in 02 due to the judging scandal. I always knew they were something special. Savchenko and Szolkowy have also been doing well. If Shen and Zhao don't get the gold then I would want it to be them.

I could never really get into the ice dancing. I do enjoy the pairs figure skating though.

I was never into ice dance until a few years ago. Don't remember why, it just grew on me I guess. But I can understand why someone might not be into it. It's not nearly as exciting as pairs since they don't have all the high flying stunts. That was one good thing about the CoP for me. The results in ice dance aren't locked after the compulsaries anymore.

Has anyone seen Johnny Weir's Pop Star On Ice or his reality show, Be Good, Johnny Weir? I don't have the Sundance channel.

I don't have sundance channel either. I wish it was on another channel i did have. I do want to see pop star on ice. Saw some previews and it looked pretty good.

I love ice dancing, it's way more interesting than Pairs'. Pairs all do the exact same things: throws, death spirals, lifts, spins, and ugly spiral sequences. There's so much more variety of lifts and choreography that the Ice dancers can do, and it's far more exciting. If you don't think ice dancing is interesting, you must not have ever watched Meryl Davis & Charlie White skate! It's hard not to like them. :)

I watched the Europeans yesterday on Universal Sports. Domnina & Shabalin won and got fairly high scores, but not as high as Davis & White's this season. Their program was okay, but not that great. I don't think they can measure up. I think the 2 American teams and the Canadian team are all good enough to beat them, but you never know.

I also saw Evgeny Plushenko, Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, etc. on Europeans. Of course Evgeny won, and yes, his jumps were very powerful and he landed them pretty well. But I did not care for the rest of his program. His artistry only seemed to consist of him making languid, "seductive" faces, pretending to smoke a cigarette, and moving his body around. :rolleyes: Oh, how wonderful. Then he goes berzerk with his footwork, getting the crowd going; that's fun, but jumps or no jumps, he's not my most favorite skater.

Stephane Lambiel, on the other hand, was very artistic and entertaining with his entire program. Wonderful spins and footwork. He did mess up on a couple jumps, and even stumbled out of nowhere, but he got second place. He is just a wonderful skater, and I hope he beats Plushenko at the Olympics, and I think he can. Brian Joubert got 3rd. I love his short program, although they didn't show it for this event.

Lea, I prefer Johnny to Evan, too, and I loved his Poker Face routine! :D It's the only time I like the song; otherwise I can't stand it. But I've been a little frustrated with Johnny's competitions the last few years. :(

Lea, I think that Pop Star On Ice will eventually come out on DVD. I have it on my "wish list" at Netflix.

Oh I can't wait for that. I will have to buy it for sure!

I love ice dancing, it's way more interesting than Pairs'. Pairs all do the exact same things: throws, death spirals, lifts, spins, and ugly spiral sequences. There's so much more variety of lifts and choreography that the Ice dancers can do, and it's far more exciting. If you don't think ice dancing is interesting, you must not have ever watched Meryl Davis & Charlie White skate! It's hard not to like them. :)

I watched the Europeans yesterday on Universal Sports. Domnina & Shabalin won and got fairly high scores, but not as high as Davis & White's this season. Their program was okay, but not that great. I don't think they can measure up. I think the 2 American teams and the Canadian team are all good enough to beat them, but you never know.

I also saw Evgeny Plushenko, Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, etc. on Europeans. Of course Evgeny won, and yes, his jumps were very powerful and he landed them pretty well. But I did not care for the rest of his program. His artistry only seemed to consist of him making languid, "seductive" faces, pretending to smoke a cigarette, and moving his body around. :rolleyes: Oh, how wonderful. Then he goes berzerk with his footwork, getting the crowd going; that's fun, but jumps or no jumps, he's not my most favorite skater.

Stephane Lambiel, on the other hand, was very artistic and entertaining with his entire program. Wonderful spins and footwork. He did mess up on a couple jumps, and even stumbled out of nowhere, but he got second place. He is just a wonderful skater, and I hope he beats Plushenko at the Olympics, and I think he can. Brian Joubert got 3rd. I love his short program, although they didn't show it for this event.

Lea, I prefer Johnny to Evan, too, and I loved his Poker Face routine! :D It's the only time I like the song; otherwise I can't stand it. But I've been a little frustrated with Johnny's competitions the last few years. :(

I actually like lady gaga's music. I think johnny is a big fan of hers as well.

I too have been a little frustrated with johnny's competitions lately. i know he can do so much better

Hey girls!!

I've been reading this thread occasionally but i never posted because i really don't know much about skating...i love to watch it and i have my favorites...and also i'm from Croatia which means i only get to see european and world championships, and you talk mostly about usa so i didn't want to intrude....

just wanted to tell you that you are doing an amazing job Mary with all your reports and i love to read them....although we differ in opinions :) keep doing what you're doing :)

Tea

p.s. don't fight over favorites...everyone has a different taste and i don't like seeing anyone bashing a skater because he/she doesn't like him...why can't everyone write what they like or give constructive advice?

Hey Tea, thanks for writing. We all have our differences sometimes and I'm sorry if that's what has kept you from posting. We can get carried away, and I'm including myself in that. But, I think that happens when you talk about something you love. So, who are some of your favorite skaters? We have a broad range of favorites here. Connie and Lea love Johnny, Libby likes Meryl and Charlie and I adore Jeremy. I also like Stephanie Lambiel, Davis and White, Yu-Na Kim, Joannie Rochette and Shen and Zhao. And, don't worry, we might not always agree but most of the time we just like to have fun talking about skating!!

well....i mostly watch men so my favorites are men of course :) i like plushenko, but i think i like St├ęphane a bit more this year...yeah...that spins blew me away last month....Joubert can always be great and as you can see all of these are Europeans!! From the worlds i liked Evan but now i'm looking forward to seeing Jeremy in the Olympics, you managed to get me interested in him and i don't think i've seen him skate before (hmm...maybe i should look him up on you tube??) I'm really excited for the Olympics....i just hope i will get to see them...'cos Eurosport has been acting weird these year with skating coverage....

Tea