Rosey

The New Golden Grobanites

9,224 posts in this topic

Same thing here, Carol. All the candidates say they will reduce taxes and increase jobs. One person can't do all that! Loved your pictures on Facebook. I think the party was a success!

Irene, is it typical weather you're having there, or is it unusually cold there for this time of year?

i told my dad today of the assisted living plans I am putting together for him. It was very emotional. He knows we are doing what we ( my sister and I ) think is best for him. Now he's resisting and saying let's think about it some more. He is trying to talk his way out of it. The thing he will miss most: his caregiver Donna. She is sad but sees it's for his own good. 

Brenda, I'm glad you told your dad about the assisted living plans for him. I'm sure it will give you much peace of mind that he's on a safe place and getting his meals taken care of and the care he needs. I'm sure he will miss Donna but I bet she'll come visit often. ūüėä

We had a nice weekend. We'd planned to go to the beach today since it was going to be hot but impromptu decided Friday night to go up yesterday and stay over. So we drove up last night, after securing a cute room at a nice hotel on the beach, walked on the beach last night, had some drinks and dinner, got up early this morning to watch the sun come up and then spent the day at the beach. We got home just a little while ago. It was busier than we planned but I'm glad we went. It was nice to get away for a night. We went with my brother in law and another friend. 

Back to work tomorrow - it's my last full week of work before vacation. I can't wait!

Brenda.it has been cold for the time of the year but we are promised warmer weather this week.I shall believe it when I feel it.I think your Dad is bound to resist a bit but once he is settled in hopefully he will understand.

Sarahbeth....spur of the moment trips are the best.Sound like you both had a great time.How long is your trip to England and have you or Shaun been before?

Carol.I am getting really fed up with politics.Shame it went wrong for Theresa May I think the remainers might try to change Brexit now whch will cause a whole heap of trouble.Interesting but troubling times.

Managed to get in awalk this morning and finished planting my containers but this afternoon turned to drizzle.This is the trouble living in the mountains on the Atlantic coast..Irene

Irene, we will be in England for about a week give or take. We fly in on June 23 and leave on June 29. Neither of us have ever been before, so we'll have a good trip, even though it's a bit short. I honestly don't mind because I get antsy being away from home for more than a week anyway. we spent some time on Friday booking some things to do with the group that we'll be with. 

I'm glad you were able to get in a walk before the weather turned.

Very hot here today and tomorrow, but the weather should break tomorrow and we'll be back to normal June weather. it's very hot here for this time of year.

Yoga tonight and I'm really looking forward to it - I've missed it 3 weeks in a row now!

Brenda it is natural for your father to resist a move we are all frightened of change. I think in the end he will thank you as he will feel secure and well supported when he moves please don't feel guilty as you are doing the best thing for him . Life will become much easier for all of you knowing he is safe and sound. 

Irene  yes it is interesting times over here. Heaven only knows what will happen . Teresa May has been badly advised. Her campaign was terrible. Whereas Corbin promised things he couldn't possibly carry out as he would have the country bankrupt ! Time will tell ! 

Sarah with a bit of luck it may be warm when you come over. Mind you if you blink it will probably rain ‚ėĒÔłŹ but hopefully you will be lucky especially on the wedding day .¬†

The heat has broken finally, and its gorgeous here today. I had my sunroof and my window open in the car this morning on my way in and this is the summer weather I love. A few of us are going out after work to get a drink which will be nice. 

Carol, I hope the weather will be nice, I haven't checked - I haven't a clue really as to what to pack but I think I'll play it by ear. 

Hope everything is well with Brenda and her dad, haven't seen her check in since Saturday. 

Sarah you and me both. Today it is a dress as warm and sunny. I think we are in fir a few days of good weather. The forecast changes all the time so better to just look out of the window ! I think it will be warm enough for summer clothes though 

yes Brenda hope all is ok with you and your dad perhaps you are just very busy ? 

Hi ladies,

I came back home late Monday. So Dad is still enjoying having Donna come over during the day. She is helping him to feel a little better about this upcoming move. She told him that he won't have to worry about whether or not he'll ever see her again because she plans to come and visit often. She really loves him dearly. That will certainly help him to feel better. We will be going to my Dad's every weekend until he moves to the facility. I already cancelled with the agency that his other caregiver is with since she (Francia) only came on weekends. But in the future, I plan to contract with her privately so that she can take my Dad to church every other Sunday. The facility won't take the residents to church, but they do have their own devotional time. My sister is planning to fly up here when it's time for my Dad to move so that he can have her visit to look forward to and have more support.

Tomorrow our department at work is having its annual outing. We leave at 10am to go to a local park for games, catered lunch and a raffle and auction (where we get to use our accumulated "fake" money!). We are having a thunderstorm/downpour at the moment, and weather predictions seemed to indicate that there may be some showers in the morning. Last year's picnic had rain the whole time. I sure hope we won't have a repeat of that this time!

After work, I had a chiropractic appointment, then came home. I hadn't been home long before Shelley called and asked if I could come over to watch the baby while she left to go pick up Charlotte at the daycare. She didn't want to have to drag Rosalie out in the rain since she already isn't feeling too well. So I went over and played with Rosalie. She was getting fussy by the time Shelley and Charlotte got back. I did manage to get her to stay in her play pen for a while so I could do a few dishes in the kitchen. According to Shelley, the baby barely slept last night due to post nasal drip and coughing so much. I guess that means no one got any sleep! She sure seemed tired to me while I was there, but resisted being in a lying down position. Her throat may hurt because she sounded hoarse.

Alan's  brother, Dave, was visiting us from June 6th until he left on the 13th (yesterday). He and Alan had a good time on their road trip to Connecticut to attend the wedding of one of Dave's former students. According to video Alan sent us, they had a great time at the wedding, probably too great of a time! The guests didn't have to drive as there was a bus taking the hotel guests to and from the venue. So that worked out really well so that they could enjoy the flowing wine.

Well, that's about it from here. I did see on the news this morning that there was a horrible high rise fire in London and that so many were killed or missing. Time again for more prayers.

Irene, you were lucky to get in that walk before getting drenched. Yes, you really seem to have to dodge quite a lot of rain all the time. Hopefully warmer weather is coming!

Carol, I've done a bit of reading to see that my Dad's reaction to having to move is typical, and that my feelings are normal too. It helps to know I'm not going crazy.

Sarah, good for you two taking that impromptu trip to the beach! That helps to make your life fun. :)

Brenda, I'm glad Donna is helping your dad feel better about his upcoming move. Did you choose a facility and do you have a move in date for your dad? I'm sure it'll be peace of mind to have him in a safe place with around the clock care as he needs it. I hope once he's settled you will be able to get back to a more normal schedule of going to visit - I know the transition won't be easy for him, but I hope he understands that he can no longer stay in his home. 

Last night, I went out with some of my coworkers on my team for drinks after work. It was really nice, we went to a place that's right on the Merrimack River and sat outside on the deck. We couldn't have asked for nicer weather after it being so hot! We're having one more nice day today (it was actually almost chilly this morning, it sure felt good when I left for work), then this weekend is supposed to be overcast and humid. Saturday we will have the dinner for my grandmother's birthday. I'm looking forward to it. We leave for London a week from today, I can't believe the trip is practically here!!

Sarah, I sure hope your grandmother's party is a smashing success! Enjoy your weekend!

Our department at work had the annual picnic outing at a local park yesterday. It was great fun! In addition to feeding us, they had raffles, an auction and then games that we participated in. I played in the Corn Hole game. I'm horrible at it but it was so much fun! I also played Bingo. It was great to just relax a while and talk with my buddies.

Well my sister and I have decided on my Dad's move-in date---it will be July 6th. My sister and I will always remember our birthdays for 2017. Mine is July 8 and hers is July 10. We'll always associate this life changing event for our Dad with our birthdays. We will spend it with him to celebrate. Marie is flying up here on July 4th and will be here until July 11th. So I've taken off from work for that length of time so that we can both handle this transition.

I also found out something when Donna told me that she and her husband are interested in buying my Dad's house once that time comes. To be honest, I wondered if they might consider doing that. She didn't say they wanted to live there, so they may want it so they can fix it up and resell it, or perhaps buy it for Donna's grown daughter. Not really sure. I won't ask questions at this point. That's going to be in the future so I don't need to worry about it now.

My grandmother was very touched last night at the party and effort we (I) put in to pull it off. Having it at a restaurant was the best - they handled everything and all we had to do was show up. The food was great too. It was totally worth it - we got home a little late and immediately crashed. Today, we're not doing anything. I cleaned this morning, and have some laundry going. Shawn and my BIL Chris will go grocery shopping tomorrow to just stock the house with things Chris will need/want while we're away. We leave for London on Thursday - I can't believe it. We've got a number of things to do booked already so its less that we have to worry about when we are there. 

It's very humid here this weekend - we've been running the AC pretty much non-stop to keep it at bay. It's supposed to break Monday night which is fine. 

Brenda, glad that you were able to get a move in date quickly for your dad. I hope the transition goes smoothly. 

Sarah. It is really hot here at the moment and is lasting for the next few days. The temperature drops next weekend and we have rain forecast for Saturday. .  In London it is always hotter . Lily lives and works in London And has had to go out and buy a fan ! She can't sleep it is so hot overnight . At least you will have a couple of days good weather hopefully it will  last for your week here. 

Brenda would it be acceptable to you for Donna to buy your dad's house. ?  You would have to do it with the right price in place. I suppose it depends if there is very much to do in improvements needed . I hope your fathers move goes well and smoothly for you and your sister . Hopefully he will be able to have all the things he treasures to move with him 

Irene. ¬†I presume you are having the same weather as us ? ¬†Too hot to sit out ¬†but really lovely to have unbroken sunshine ‚ėÄÔłŹ but the nights are just so hot sleeping is difficult¬†

Sarah, I am so glad that everything turned out so well for your grandmother's party. I'm sure it touched your heart that she was so appreciative of all that you did. Your departure date for London sure came up quickly! I know you guys will have a great time!

Carol, it sure is miserable trying to sleep when it is so hot. I spent many a night like that growing up in my childhood home. We didn't get central air conditioning until either my high school years or when I left for college. Up until then, we made do with fans. At least it cooled the sweat on my body! 

We had a great visit with my dad this weekend. We just got home at 6pm. He seems to be getting more used to the idea of moving.

After work today, I hightailed it over to the local "junk" shop that sells all sorts of old furniture and household stuff----I was looking for a used chest of drawers. The ones I saw were either cheap and ugly or more expensive and totally of the wrong century! I don't 'want to get something old fashioned,  or one that need painting to look better. tomorrow I'll check out some other shops. My Dad is in need of one for his room once he gets to assisted living. We don't have one he can use and there aren't any in his house that he can use. Perhaps I could put out an APB on Facebook to see if anyone has one they are willing to part with. I don't really want to be running around to everyone's house to find one. What a predicament.  (The one in his bedroom is really tall and big---it would never work in the room).

Brenda, I think asking on FB to see if anyone has a tall chest that they're not using that would work for your dad is a good idea. As is checking the thrift shops, etc. I hope you find something!

After the heat we've had here (although the humidity has dropped today considerably), we're going to be freezing in London next week as they're calling for temps in the 70s or so and cloudy. I have no idea what to pack and will probably over pack, as I do. I'm a little stressed trying to get everything finalized at work before I leave. I'm looking forward to it though. 

I think aside from packing, everything is done for our trip. We'll check in at the airport to ensure that we can sit together because our tickets got booked separately (long story), instead of checking in online. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass but hopefully, it'll be fine. We bought a new bed frame for our bed, and it's supposed to be delivered sometime between 11am-2pm today and it's not here yet. Hopefully, soon! 

Sarahbeth.I don,t think you will be freezing in London.It is very hot there as  Carole says and difficult to sleep.It should last until Thursday and will then get a bit cooler but still nice.Make sure you take a raincoat.

It is lovely here also but not as hot as the UK.It is still too hot here to take the dogs out for a walk though and also too hot for gardening.I am not complaining though for when it rains here it will probably go on for ever.

Glad to hear you Dad is feeling better about his move.It will be so much easier for you all.

Glad things went well for yourGrandmothers party Sarah and hope you and Shaun have a great trip to the UK................Irene

Sarah 70 degrees in London is really warm believe me . It is still forecast to be very hot for¬†the next few days . I guess it will end in thunderstorms. We really need our fans on at night in order to sleep ! ¬†Hope you have a wonderful holiday and get¬†to see some of the sights before you leave . All you need will be summer clothes with a cardigan if it gets cooler and as Irene says a light mac in case of rain ‚ėĒÔłŹ¬†

Brenda it is good your dad has had time to get used to the idea of moving from his home. I am sure it will go smoothly and he will have people around him and it is bound to be safer and comforting for you to know that .

irene how is your sister in law now ? is she still out of extreme pain I hope the injections have been successful 

Alan and I went over to my cousin's house this afternoon to pick up the bedframe that used to belong to my Dad's sister (our aunt). As we were talking before putting things on the truck, I happened to mention that my next task was to get a chest of drawers. My cousin brightened up and said that she had one that used to belong to the same aunt. So she took us upstairs to see it. I decided it would work very well, so we finally managed to get it down the stairs and into the truck. It took some doing! Once Alan had it all packed on his truck, my cousin's husband got home. We had a good laugh over that! But we managed pretty well. We got the items to our  house and just brought them in through the back sliding doors and plopped everything at the back of the room until it's time to take them to my Dad's.

Sarah, I'm like you in that I tend to overpack for the "what ifs" scenarios. I'd much rather have too much than not enough. I know you guys will have such a fun time. I look forward to your stories once you return.

Carol, I do hope my peace of mind will become better after my Dad moves. I have been worrying about him for so long I have forgotten how to have fun in my own life. I was telling Alan earlier that I feel I've lost myself and don't even know what I like or what makes me happy any more. I am so weary of this caretaking role, but it's a necessary one and you know I would never shirk it. My Dad is looking forward to going to his heavenly home, and I will be glad for him when it happens. He will truly be where he wants to be. I think that will help me once he's gone from Earth.

***crickets chirping***

I know Sarah is in London having a ball......what are the rest of you up to lately? Any plans for the weekend? Alan and I are going to my Dad's. We are taking him to a family reunion on Sunday. On Saturday, I have to look at some of his important papers and get some information so I can complete the paperwork for the assisted living facility. Once done, I will drive over to drop off the papers and also see the room he'll be moving in to. He'll have a roommate. The cost of a private room is so astronomical. Alan and I will be moving the furniture over on move-in day ourselves. I'll put my sister in charge of hanging out with our Dad while all that is happening. It's going to be an emotional day. Move-in day is July 6th. Older daughter, Sara is coming to my Dad's this weekend with Colin so they can attend the reunion with him. Sara doesn't really want to go, but she knows it means a lot to "Pop". She's a good granddaughter. Shelley has to work. His other granddaughter, Lauren, lives in Florida, so she won't be there. When she was a little girl, my sister and her husband would put Lauren on a plane and send her up to spend part of the summer with Grannie and Pop. They adored her.

Well, I'm going over to Shelley's in a little while. For their anniversary, we gave them 2 Fun Pack tickets that can be used at Busch Gardens or Water Country for unlimited visits this summer. I need to carry them over to them this evening and spend some time with the children. Well, better sign off for now. Hope all of you are doing ok!

Hello from London! We arrived this morning but after some downtime this afternoon (and a nap omg) we headed out for dinner, meeting up with a couple of the other people who are hear as well, then met everyone for some drinks at a glow bar and grown up ball pit. Then we moved to a different pub and had another drink, then went back to the hotel. Tomorrow is another busy day!

Good to see Sarah is enjoying her stay over here. Her photos look as if she is having a lot of fun . 

Brenda I hope you have a good weekend at your Dads . I am sure you will find life far less stressful. It is very sad that you have lost your joy of life and I am sure your husband will agree that you need to stop and reassess what is happening . I told Peter about all your responsibilities and he agreed you need to start caring for yourself . Once your father is settled can you both manage to go away for a vacation together were you can recharge you batteries . I am full of admiration that you can work full time and  do everything you manage to fit in. However I am concerned that you will become ill if you continue to burn the candle at both ends and I am really concerned about you 

Carol,  you are so sweet for your concern. I am touched. I know I have too much going on, so I am contemplating going for therapy. Also, once my dad is settled, I pray I can take off some weekends so I can either rest or do something that is fun. I do hope you and Peter are doing well. I always love to see your pictures on Facebook!

Sarah, have fun girl!

Brenda I am so happy that you are positively going to do something for yourself. Sometimes we lose sight of what is happening in our lives and need to take stock. I know how concerned you have been about your father and have been a wonderful daughter caring for him. I know you wouldn't have it any other way and that makes you the special  person you are . I am sure better times are coming for you soon. 

Peter and I are fine. Peter has dizzy attacks every so often since his stroke. I think they are probably due  to his blood pressure medication . His memory isn't great either but he is happy physically fit and glad to be alive ! We have enjoyed having janine over here and it was sad seeing her go back to Canada . Lily and Poppy  are in Rome at the moment and having a whale of a time! Poppy will come back to stay with us in a couple of days before she goes to Canada for a month. 

Brenda..So sorry you are feeling down.Once your Dad is settled things should improve for you.Don,t let yourself get too down before asking for help if you feel you need it.I sometimes think we try to do too much and that people expect too much from us.You need some me time.You work all day,try and look after your Dad and also do so much for your daughters and grandchildren.You need to step back sometimes and make time to do what you and Alan want to do.Hope you feel better soon.

Carole you are such a sensible woman,you are very perceptive andcseem to get things just right.Glad you and Peter are OK.Have you any more trips coming up.You asked about my SIL.Some of the pain has come back in her arm but it is not so severe.She is sleeping at night and as you know that makes a big difference.She sees the consultant at Addenbrooks in July.You will be missing your family for a while now.

Sarah..glad you arrived safely.Have a great time.

Weather has gone wrong again here since last thursday.According to the forecast we have a lot of wet weather to come this week...........Irene.