Rosey

The New Golden Grobanites

9,120 posts in this topic

Brenda, actually yesterday Shawn and I did a lot of errands and some retail therapy. It was gorgeous weather here! We also put together a small easter basket for Oliver. It'll be fun to see him tomorrow. Today we'll finish the prep for Easter.

We do have DSW in my area - I shop there for shoes almost exclusively because I really enjoy their selection. I also like if they don't have a size they can order it for you and have it drop shipped to your house. 

Irene, sorry you're still dealing with that cough. I hope you feel better soon! 

Wishing everyone a very happy Easter and hope you have a wonderful day with family and friends 🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐥🐤

Irene I hope your cough clears soon . I expect you have an inhaler to use but it didn't help me much and now the hay  fever season has started it really effects my chest so I will be using my steroid inhaler in the hopes of saving my chest ! 

Brenda as the beef goes through a mincer that seems a logical name for mince beef or whatever else is put through it. In my mind if  you grind something it turns into  a mush whereas with mince you do have a meat consistency . It is strange how despite speaking English a lot of different words are used for the same thing in our countries !

Wow, quiet in here. I hope everyone had a lovely Easter. It was very nice to have my whole family over, and we had such gorgeous weather too that people could eat outside on the deck and we had dessert outside. Was a bit windy, but not bad. Today's the last nice day for awhile, then we're going to get some rain and cool-ish weather. (ugh).

Irene, how are you feeling?

Brenda, how did your shoe shopping go? Did you find anything? 

I'm going back to the gym tonight after being away for a week and some change - I sliced my finger last Sunday with a piece of glass and was in a splint most of the week. I didn't want to push it while it was healing (I couldn't even go to yoga because I couldn't put my hand down in poses that required it). I think it'll be good to get back! 

Hope your finger heals spon Sarah.Hosting EAster in your own home must have been lovely for you and I am so glad the weather was good.

This cough thing is really hanging around but I do feel a bit better and I am not wheezy now so as Long as I see an improvement each day I won,t go to the doctors.

We have had a lovely dry bright Easter also but I haven,t felt like going anywhere but thats OK as I am quite happy at home......Irene

Irene. I don't know whether you saw the article about chest coughs in the  daily mail . They said that vitamin D3 should be taken to 

prevent coughs especially in the winter when're short  of sun. I started to take it and have to say my cough has slowly disappeared. Always worth a try! 

We all had a good Easter Sunday. Everyone lent a hand and rather than a stressful time it turned into great fun. Janine and lee cooked turkey and beef . I did veggies Yorkshire pudding and the sweets. I did treacle tart, rhubarb crumble, plum tart and a fresh fruit salad . Everyone loves puddings and they soon cleared the lot! Lily and Poppy had great fun having an Easter egg hunt in the garden they collected 50 eggs between them hopefully they didn't eat them all at once ! We played games The Chase, and trivial pursuits which was fun . Now back to normal washing and ironing etc 

Carol, so glad you had a nice Easter. My house is mostly back together. I need to wash tablecloths and napkins, and put the other table away but other than that, its all together. 

I'm working from home today which is nice - its chilly and everyone is at work or elsewhere so I'm getting some quiet time and getting some work done.

Has anyone heard from Brenda lately? I hope everything's ok with her dad! 

Hello ladies, looks like all of you had a nice Easter. Carol, that "treacle tart" sounds weird. What in the heck is treacle? It sounds like a pig's innards!

I forget when I last posted, but we spent Sunday at Sara's house. It was such fun playing with Colin and talking with the adults. We went out to eat, then came home. Colin slept in the car seat on the way home, and woke up once we arrived at their house, so he didn't get a good nap in. He sure loves playing with his trucks and riding toys. When Alan and I babysit for him over a weekend in May, we are going to be worn out, I just know it! We haven't seen Shelley and her family since Saturday when Charlotte had her first tae kwon do class. That was fun to watch. I will probably go over there soon to see them. I must go to my Dad's this weekend. Alan won't be able to go with me this time. It's ok. My Dad will be glad to get back to going to church. He's missed the past 2 Sundays. (There was no Easter service, which is why he missed that day). The last of his siblings, a brother, has been moved to the memory care section of an assisted living facility. He'll be 97 in August. Dad went to see him on Sunday. He said his brother looked awful and couldn't hear  him talk. I could tell in his voice that my Dad was shaken by it. I told Alan we'll probably be going to a funeral in the near future for my uncle.

Irene, I sure hope your chest cough is continuing to ease up. Coughs can sure linger for a long time. It helps that the weather has been a bit kinder there.

We are having a bit of a cool spell here. I needed a light jacket, but I see others in shorts and short sleeved shirts. I am generally cold when other people are comfortable. I am continuing to walk at break time while at work. It seems others are not as dedicated and have started having excuses as to why they can't join me. I am just so glad to be back in the habit again. I had an annual mammogram done today. It was with their new  3-D imaging machine. I still had to contend with the compression, which lasted a bit longer, but the x-ray machine sweeps over the compressed area, giving a complete 3-D image for the radiologist. The technician says these machines result in 40% less call backs for additional images.

Brenda  Ha Ha treacle tart is nothing like you describe it is my daughters absolute favorite pudding!/ It is like a pastry tart made with syrup and breadcrumbs and baked in the oven for about 20 minutes. Next time I make it I must take a photo to show you. I am amazed you don't have this in America. I presume you don't have crumbles either?

Your mammogram sounds interesting I hope they have these new machines over here soon , too many recalls are made causing stress for many ladies.

Have done our weeks shopping this morning. I have had a blitz on the house and my sister and brother in law  are coming at 5pm and we are going to the local pub for our dinner., No cooking for me tonight! 

WE are still eating chocolate every day! I got three boxes of Ferro Roche and once I start eating them I cant stop  I think I might have to hide them or my waist will expand too much!

Hi Brenda, glad you had a nice time on Easter. Oliver was here with us on Easter as well - that kid is just a ball of energy. I'm tired just watching him. 

It's cool and rainy here today and I'm working from home, as is our entire team. It just sort of worked out that way, but on a rainy day, going out is the last thing I want to do! Things have been busy here, and I think Shawn and I are going to go to a movie this weekend and just chill. I need to relax after being on the go quite a bit for the last few weeks. I've been going to the gym on a fairly regular basis and I think I'm better for it - I always feel good after I'm done, no matter how tired I am. I got home last night and Shawn was grilling dinner, which was awesome. Was nice to only have to put plates and silverware in the dishwasher! 

I'm so ready for the weekend! 

Hi girls.   I am still coughing but I feel so much better.Went to town yesterday to do shopping and this morning I cut the lawn and did sone strimming.Weather has been beautiful ths last two days although still a bit of a cold breeze.

Carol.  John used to love Treakle Tart and every Sunday I would do some sort of a pudding.Crumbles,Bread and butter pudding,Queen of puddings I used to do them all.Not any more or I would be eating the whole thing myself.

I am going to blitz the house tomorrow as I really haven,t felt like doing much this last week.Sounds like you all had a good weekend with children and family.I haven,t eaten any chocolate over the weekend as I didn,t but any .....Irene

Carol/Irene, I've never heard of a bread crumbs and syrup tart. I cannot imagine what it looks like or tastes like. I will have to "google" it and see what I come up with! I wanted to ask what you mean when you say the word "pudding". When I hear it, it means a thick, sweet dessert dish that is usually chocolate, vanilla or butterscotch. It's made with milk and a thickener. We usually buy instant pudding, which is a powdery substance you whisk with milk for 2 minutes until it gets to the desired consistency. Thanks for indulging me in these interesting differences in our culture....:)

Sarah, I bet you were quite grateful that Shawn was cooking dinner last night! I would be shocked if Alan did it! It's only because we both eat totally different foods now and he eats really late. Glad you'll get a chance to do some relaxing this weekend. It will help recharge your batteries for next week. I can only imagine how much energy little Oliver exhibits. Watching and keeping up with little kids is like a marathon race!

I watched Charlotte and Rosalie for a little while after work yesterday so that Shelley could go to the grocery store and have a quiet buying trip without interruption. I'm sure she enjoyed it immensely. The girls and I were outside for half the time. I sat on the glider swing with Rosalie--she loves looking around and watching Charlotte. Then we went inside so Charlotte could get a fruit cup snack. Then I blew up a bouncy balloon with an attached large rubber band. When Charlotte started banging that thing against her hand, Rosalie started giggling up a storm! It's so funny to watch her laugh. She's also a little hoarse, so some of her gibberish sounded weird with that raspy little voice of hers. Shelley said she's been crying a lot more lately due to teething pain, causing her hoarseness. She also is starting to reach for my glasses now, which is a no-no. I have a feeling when she starts crawling, she is going to be off to the races in a flash!

I saw on Facebook that Peggy is in NYC to see "...Comet" again. she also got a picture of Josh out in front of the theater signing autographs. I'm sure she'll have a marvelous time!

Brenda.Pudding or desert is what follows dinner.England ,in particular,is famous for its puddings.Treacle tart is a pastry base .Roll your pastry put onto a shallow dish.Heat the syrup with the breadcrumbs in a saucepan and then spread over the pastry base then roll out the rest of the pastry,cut into long thin strips and put across the syrup both ways to form a lattice like top.Then bake in the oven.The idea of the breadcrumbs is to thicken the syrup and make it more like toffee.serve with cream or custard or ,as John used to like it,both.Puddings come in all sorts of guises,milky ones,like rice or Sponge puddings,or pastry puddings with all kinds of fruits or meringue puddings ,I could go on and on,but they are,I think,very English and delicious.....lRene

Irene good explanation  of puddings couldn't have put it better myself . Peters favourite is bread and butter pudding . I can unerstand  you not eating them now though I wouldn't bother for myself but I do enjoy making them for all the family when they come. My neighbour was saying we seem to have come a full circle as we went through a stage of making meringues and fancy sweets and now have come back to good old fashioned puddings our mothers used to make 

Carol and Irene, I spent some time yesterday looking up treacle tart and Yorkshire pudding. The tart does look quite good! The Yorkshire pudding is what shocked me. It looked like an overblown bread muffin! Not something creamy and smooth made with milk like I was imagining. I've got a lot to learn when it comes to British food....😉

One of my favorite desserts is Boston cream pie. It's not really a pie, but two fairly thin layers of yellow cake that have a thick layer of vanilla custard between the layers, then are covered in a chocolate icing. Mmmmmmm! There are also Boston cream donuts which are equally decadent. I'm getting fat just thinking about it!

I'm at my dad's. We visited his 90 year old neighbor, Ruby, this afternoon but didn't end up staying very long because a big thunderstorm was coming up. When we were finally walking home, it had begun to rain but I had my huge umbrella which covered both of us. Not long after we got inside, the heavens opened up and a huge downpour began and lasted quite a while. I cooked us salmon cakes for supper. So yummy! I should say they were salmon patties, fried like a hamburger. They weren't the least bit akin to cake...🙂

Brenda. Yorkshire pudding is served with roast beef ! This may confuse you even more ! In Yorkshire though it is often served with gravy as the first course . It is not served as a pudding at all . It is made of batter like pancakes but cooked in the oven it rises up and is delicious when home made 

Brenda, I'm glad you're having a nice visit with your Dad. 

We've had a nice weekend here - today the sun has finally come out after it being gloomy and drizzly and raining for 2 days. Shawn and I have spent some good one on one time together his weekend which has been much needed. Did some shopping, bought a new microwave after I smoked our other one (long story), and went to the movies. Today, I hope to get out into the yard for a little bit and then I am having dinner with a friend later on. 

Things are seeming starting to return to normal after a crazy few weeks, which I'm thankful for. 

Sarah, looks like our area has all the rain now that you were having. It's been raining all day here and it's been fairly cold! Glad you finally have some sunshine to enjoy. I don't think we're due to get any until Tuesday or Wednesday. Sounds like it's been a good weekend for you two lovebirds...:wub:

Carol, I can see how roast beef and gravy would go well with the Yorkshire pudding. It's just so strange to me that it's called pudding!! I'll never understand some of the terms used in your country....:lol:

Lots of drama going on at my Dad's church. Looks like it very well may be shutting it's doors as of June 11th. I got a phone call from a friend that I grew up with in that church (she moved away last year). she is trying to find out for sure if the church will be closing because she wants to plea with the district superintendent to separate the church cemetary from the church so that the old folks still there can be buried in the cemetary and so that those of us with relatives in the cemetary can still come there to pay homage to them. I told her if lots of people need to contact the DS, I'd be happy to place a call, and my sister will probably do so, too. To think that we won't be able to bury my father there is just beyond upsetting. My Mom is there, and my friend's mom is there, too. Her dad plans to be buried there. It's just not something I thought I'd ever see in my lifetime, for that church to shut its doors. There aren't a lot of new people moving into that area, and people who do live there are already committed to other churches around there. I doubt enough new people could ever be found to keep the doors open. I don't plan to tell my Dad this until I have to. He will worry himself silly over it.

Rain rain go away, come again another day......:huh: I think I've seen enough, thank you. Irene, I don't know how you stand it all the time. The grass is growing, that's for sure. It will definitely be good for the new little grass seedlings at my Dad's.

I had my chiropractic appointment today after work. The doctor is cutting back on my visits now so I can settle into a more maintenance routine. That's fine with my pocketbook! Work was good. I got to learn a new system of receiving work. I don't quite see the benefit of the new system. The old one worked just fine, IMO. Colin and Sara are coming this weekend. We are trying to figure out an outing that  would be good for us. On Sunday, I'm going with my friend shopping. We're going to buy each other birthday gifts! We've never done this before.

Wow, quiet in here. I have a few fast minutes of quiet at work so I thought I'd drop in.

Brenda, sorry to hear all the drama with your dad's church. It sadly happens, especially when there's not enough people on any given Sunday to make it worth it. Hope they're able to straighten out the separation of the cemetery to the church. Glad your chiropractic appointments are letting you fall into a maintenance schedule. My dad swears by his - I've never been to one before. Is it covered under your insurance or no?

It's raining here today and tomorrow, which is great since we could use it. We just put down some grass seed in our front yard yesterday (well, Shawn did). We spent Sunday afternoon raking out the beds and the yard. It was a gorgeous day. The last few weeks have been crazy in our world and it's just going to continue into Summer. We're pretty sure that Shawn will need surgery again on his shoulder once we return from London. We'll know for sure after he sees the doctor after Memorial Day but either way it's going to throw a wrench in things. He's in a lot of pain still from when he fell at work back in February.

Sarah, our insurance does pay a portion of our chiropractic visits, and we can use our health flexible spending account to pay for visits. I remember a time when chiropractic care wasn't covered. Uh oh, that is not good news about Shawn's needing another shoulder surgery. Was he getting along ok until the fall in February? Oh brother, that's all he needs. So sorry to hear about this.

The rain finally tapered off this afternoon, so I got to go to the grocery store and get some much needed items. I talked to my Dad a little while ago. He's doing fine---he and Donna visited his friend in the hospital who is battling the after effects of not taking his diabetes seriously enough. He's going to lose another toe. My Dad's favorite thing in life now is visiting people, so Donna is very good about taking him anywhere he wants to go.