Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karyn23

is it just me, or is anyone else upset about the price of the front row seats?

59 posts in this topic

Like I said before, for me, it's impossible to see him in concert unless he came to Sioux Falls. Even if he came to Minneapolis, MN, it's still a no-go. There's gas involved in getting there and back, the price of the tickets, the cost for a motel room for the night, and eating expenses, plus anything I wanted to buy at the concert. That all adds up to money I don't have. So I'll just have to be grateful for his CD's and vids on Youtube that I can listen to.

I was disappointed with the prices. Would have loved to have bought a first section floor seat, but I'm happy with what I got. At least I should be able to see him as a person and not a speck on the stage.

I was checking out New Kids on the Block front row seats and in one venue they are going for $695 a SEAT! Yeah, $695 for one front row seat. Of course, that includes a backstage pass, but I'm sorry, even if I had the money, I'd never pay that much to meet anyone - not even Josh.

Josh's VIP prices were very reasonable. Streisand's had much the same perks, but they were 1500.00 top price. What I paid for a front row seat for Josh got me a seat a lot further back for her. It didn't matter. It was Streisand's first and only Toronto concert, and I was determined to go. She did not disappoint - I loved it.

Anyone know if U2 did the package deal? They have that stupid mosh pit thing happening down the front where everybody has to stand all night. Not MY idea of fun. Although I love them to death, I didn't go this tour because they played HUGE venues where even the closest seats were far back. Same with AC/DC, whom I would have loved to see. But they sold out several nights in a 55,000 seat ball park - actually both groups did, and U2 is coming back this summer for another one. For that kind of money, I like to at least see the performers and not just on a TV screen.

I was torn between ordering tickets for Toronto or Ottawa, as i live somewhere in the middle {a couple of hours drive} I decided on Ottawa..I had everything ready..code copied and pasted, and everything went smoothly , until I looked at the price for 3 front row tickets..I was prepared for the 335 apiece, but the total came up 1670 dollars..I almost passed out..they are front row center..pushed the ok button anyway as I did not want to lose these seats.....called the ticket venue, not TM, and they did confirm that I was overcharged over 600 dollars.. although still expensive..not as much as priced per ebay, and the money is going to the people who deserve it, not scalpers.. I can't wait until July!

OK.

Calmed down. Joined FOJG.

Bought ticket via Ticketmaster with code provided.

Tickets are on Will Call.

Dull way to get a ticket.

No watching sunrise while riding busses.

No sun shinning off buildings.

No lines to stand on and fellow Grobanites to talk to.

No ticket to stare at until Aug 20th.....lololololol

Just fill in required info and watch clock ticking down while you make the choices and fill out info.

I stand on line in Smith's all the time. Not this time.

Now looking forward to Aug 20th!!! :D

Kit

I sent an email to ticketmaster to change my tickets from will call to mail, and they are mailing my tickets, rather have them now than wait to do will call...worked for me.. maybe you can get them mailed too....

Hello kid4evr!

Welcome to Grobania where everything is possible!

Thank you for the info about Will Call.

It seems the older I get the crankier I get when things change. Nothing stops change.

After the past 3 years I should know better then to get so bent out of shape about having to go thru TM and will call. On reflection and acceptance (again!) it's faith that got me that ticket. (Oh and also re-joining FOJG and going thru TM) And it's going to be with faith that I will wait until concert day to get my "for real" ticket.

Meanwhile I just keep staring at the receipt and still can't believe how close I'm going to be to the stage. First time for everything! And for me - Josh could not have picked a better week to appear here in Vegas. I will be able to really, really, really hear "THE VOICE" and see him up close and personal. ;)

Hope they don't decide to tape this one - when I went to the Foster and Friends one I could see all those camera men on dollies going back and forth in front of all the people. ( I was up on lower level in back - felt sorry for them).

The Grand Arena will never be the same after this concert! :D

See you all on Aug 20th!!!

Kit

Hi Everybody,

Seems strange, thinking about Josh and the past 10 years.

10 years ago I was hoping and begging to be around to still hear Josh's "VOICE" with "Maturity in it".

Now, I'm begging and wanting to be around for the next 10 so I can hear Josh's "VOICE" with even "More MATURITY and a bit of Aging". Josh at 40!!!!

Sorry for being selfish - of course I'll share him with all of you...... :lol:;)

Kit

(This ramble should be in another topic - but I don't know which one - sorry again) :)

Just a point about front row seats - I attend a lot of concerts and have had front row seats and some that were way up in the clouds! In some cases I have had a better experience further back as you can get a better overall view of the stage a few rows back - sometimes the front seats offer a restricted view...and make for a sore neck!

I was surprised at the number of US shows on the tour - it's a punishing schedule already and there's still the rest of the world to fit in!

Alan

He does do a lot of shows, but he seems to be able to handle it. He's given great performances even when he was sick. It's his job.

The OCD in me wants the perfect ticket. I have a budget too, which is lame. I would like the front row one time to have the experience, but that's a lot of money, even though it's not as much as some other performers. At least this time we got a chance at them, but I still think each venue should have had the same rules for what rows were and were not packages. I will probably get to go to two concerts since some of my family lives near the another venue. Still, so very, very tempted, especially today when I am really kind of bored. Keep checking in to see what is available. My other choice is to listen to the radio and win some tickets. I have row six, which is really good, if they enforce the no billboard rule, otherwise half the show is blocked by someone or another.

Josh has often said he thrives on touring - everything is so organized and he knows where he is going to be at any given time. I think a chef was on the last tour, so they ate well, and slept on the bus, which is a rolling hotel room. I hope he takes Sweeney along this time too. He factors in some days off so he can just relax and have fun. And David is there to monitor the voice. I think his promo schedule has been really hectic - I don't know how he does it, but he said if he didn't love it, he would not do it.

Just would like to add to the discussion of ticket pricing.

Para: I agree with you that even though Josh himself does not set the ticket pricing, there is much more he could be doing to make sure his fans get good seats. After all, he is the performer and there are things he can do to make sure his fans get good seats without them having to pay exhorbitant prices for them.

it used to be that venues did not have outrageous prices for the best seats in the house. Back then, there were only 2 or 3 different price levels depending on the section you sat in. Front row or orchestra pit sections were the same price as the other seats in the front floor sections. Of course, back then, you stood in line to purchase tickets or called in, and scalpers paid people to do that for them so that they could get hold of the choice seats and sell them later at a premium. Now, the venues and promoters want more profit, so they sell these packages, which in my opinion, is just as bad as scalping, but they are just sanitizing the practice, trying to make it seem palatable and thereby acceptable to the public. That's an outrage and a ripoff which preys on the fans, and performers who care about their fans should not condone it.

If Josh really wanted his fans to get great seats without price gouging them with outrageous and meaningless package deal crap, he could do what other perfromers have done in the past to protect their fans. What these performers did was have thier management procure a given number of the best seats at each venue for fan club members to purchase. Each member would be mailed a coded coupon so they could purchase a limited number of tickets, usually 4, that they would either take to the respective box office and present when tickets went on sale so they would be able to select choice seats or they could mail them in, in which case seat selection was based on the postmark, where the earliest postmark was fulfilled first. This was a very fair way to do it and fan club members paid the face value of the ticket. A first row ticket cost the same as 15th row etc. I got excellent seats on many occasions this way, and even if the venue held a lottery, which they often did to determine who got to purchase their tickets first and help prevent scalping, I still got great seats. One time, I was practically the last person to go in the lottery, and after waiting form 8am to 3 in the afternoon for my turn, I was still able to get the 10th row center after hundreds of people had purchased ahead of me.

That system worked. I never had to pay exhorbitant prices for tickets, and my seats were usually within the first 6 rows, and sometimes in the orchestra pit, which for those of you who are not familiar with that term, is a very small section of rows right at the stage in the center, in front of the first row of a section.

For those of you who want to try for better seats, another tactic is to go down to the venue a couple of hours before the show and wait for house seats to be released. Those are seats the venue holds back for VIPs that they release just before the show. They are usually sold at face value. If you go this route, I suggest you call the venue ahead and check out their policy on it first.

I can't complain about the ticket cost, because I won mine on a radio show!! ;) But actually, that's where I was blessed, because honestly I wouldn't have been able to go otherwise, because I couldn't afford the ticket costs...

Everyone seems to be doing that VIP thing now. If it puts the best seats in the hands of fans, and not scalpers, I can live with that. Fans have been getting better seats lately than they ever got before. And the lining up thing no longer works. At least not here. Stores do not want lines of often rowdy ticket buyers lining up for hours or days to get tickets. So they have a lottery system to see who gets in first. They draw a ticket - that person goes in first. Then they go in by ticket number after that. So you could be first in the line, but get in last. It is awful - I will never do that again.

Josh's regular tickets aren't expensive, compared to many other big artists. To see Prince, U2 or Madonna, you will pay three times what Josh charges. many venues do not do first day sales any more either. And about those last minute seats - always a line-up for those. There were none for the BWB show here. Some friends of mine tried.

Everyone seems to be doing that VIP thing now. If it puts the best seats in the hands of fans, and not scalpers, I can live with that. Sometimes it is a choice of getting a front row for one show or going to many shows. Fans have been getting better seats lately than they ever got before. And the lining up thing no longer works. At least not here. Stores do not want lines of often rowdy ticket buyers lining up for hours or days to get tickets. So they have a lottery system to see who gets in first. They draw a ticket - that person goes in first. Then they go in by ticket number after that. So you could be first in the line, but get in last. It is awful - I will never do that again.

Josh's regular tickets aren't expensive, compared to many other big artists. To see Prince, U2 or Madonna, you will pay three times what Josh charges. many venues do not do first day sales any more either. And about those last minute seats - always a line-up for those. There were none for the BWB show here. Some friends of mine tried.

Performers don't set the price for the tickets. Those were singer Bryan Adams' exact words to a fan last year, during a Meet & Greet before his "Bare Bones" show. This lady, who's been a fan of his since the 80's and has attended over 50 concerts, asked him why ticket prices had gotten so high over the years. He basically told her that piracy plays a huge part (records don't sell as much as they used to) and it's also very expensive to tour.

I don't know how much the M &G tickets are but it doesn't cost a lot to see Bryan without M & G

I never buy M&G :rolleyes:

Singers don't set the price of their tickets,i can think of more expensive singers :lol:

My problem is not so much the high ticket prices, but getting people to invite him to come to South Dakota. Many artists perform in Sioux Falls, and I could afford to go see him there. Unfortunately it's getting people in Sioux Falls to invite him there in the first place. Then and only then would I have to worry about the high ticket prices.

I'm glad mr groban has nothing to do with the prices.

But unlike some of you that somehow can follow him around and buy all these tickets (mommy's money?) i am barely making ends meet.

It's a shame that there are so many greedy people out there that the tickets have to cost so much.

And by the way, dont worry about josh, honey, i think he's got a few million lying in some bank somewhere.

God bless him, his family and that beautiful voice and talent. I am blessed to hear him sing and i guess i shouldnt complain about where i sit when some of you would have to travel a couple states away to see him.

BUT IF I WANT TO TYPE IN ALL CAPITALS, GO SUCK ON A SMOKE PIPE, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT.

By the way, i'm laughing my butt off because some of those comments i find to be hilarious.

i hope we all get to enjoy his concert somewhere.

While it was discouraging to see that most of the front row tickets were being sold for high prices, it's something we can expect from companies who are in it to make money. I can see that they want to keep the profits for themselves instead of going to big brokers or scalpers.

The reason I was disappointed in the pricing was that back in 2007 I was able to get front row tickets to GB and MKE for regular price. I'm grateful for that experience, and I know that was a privilege, not a right to be demanded. But now, I just saw someone who was selling 21 front row tickets to GB. When there's money to be made, someone is going to capitalize on it without regard for the needs of others. Unfortunatley, we see the same disregard everywhere. We make a personal choice about it every day, even here on the boards.

Just a word to the wise: " Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;

Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you. " Proverbs 9:8

Karyn23

I do understand about not having the money to see Josh. Last time he was on tour, my husband was out of work and I could only find part-tme work. I just couldn't afford any extras. That is why this time becasue I am working and my husband is, kids are out of college, I am going all out. 3 concerts, first row, 2 row, and 10th row. But only becasue I am now in a place in my life I can afford too. Who know what the future holds.

sissie

Did any of you see Josh's chat the other night? Guess he was reading the boards and has arranged for tickets to be sold at discount for students as long as you can show a student ID. Honestly, how many performers do you know of that even pay any attention to their fan boards and do something about it? I really think he is much more responsive than y'all give him credit for being.

Also he commented that his ticket prices are the same they were for his last tour. Sounds like the only thing that has changed is on the packaging of VIP seating. I am just glad I was able to get tickets but I sure don't begrudge those who went VIP their choices <shrug> live and let live....or spend and let spend, should I say LOL

I wonder if he will hide the free tickets at each venue with this tour like he did with the BWB concerts?

Elizabeth

There were opportunites to get amazing seats at a regular price. It might not be the very first row. Have you seen Josh in concert? I sat in the second floor section back in 2007, maybe 25 rows back. Josh could have been in my living room he sounded so great, he looked so good and was so expressive that I didn't need to be any closer. I will be closer this time. I don't know your venue, maybe first row is great. In most newer venues it is not the best. Performers can't even see the very first row from the stage unless standing near the edge. Josh's voice is more than powerful enough and his personality is amazing enough that it often feels like he's singing just for you even 20 rows back. I left the 2007 concert light on my feet and completely enamoured. Maybe that is why I'm willing to pay what a reseller will charge to get exactly the seats that I want this time.

You can type in capitals all you want, but on most message boards it is the equivalent of yelling - and people don't like to be yelled at.

Lots of people don't have tons of money lying around - the economy being what it is. Some of us are on fixed incomes, and have to do without something else to go to a concert once every four years. Some of us have good jobs, a husband who works also, and money to spend. Some of us live in countries where Josh will never perform, and they will never get to see him. They are still fans. You can laugh at them if it makes you happy.

Newbies with attitude - don't ya just love them??

Oh dear - the habitual points scoring on these boards drives me insane!

As ever the healthy debate degrades into people slagging each other off.

Sad times