Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

karyn23

is it just me, or is anyone else upset about the price of the front row seats?

59 posts in this topic

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE FRONT ROW WAS RESERVED FOR EITHER FRIENDS AND FAMILY, OR SOME PEOPLE JUST LUCKED OUT AND GOT THEM. TO SEE THAT THEY ARE SELLING THEM FOR AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT REALLY UPSETS ME.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR IT AND JUST HOW GREEDY ARE PEOPLE. THERE ARE MANY LOYAL FANS AND A LOT OF THEM, I'M SURE, COULD NEVER AFFORD THOSE PRICES.

THOUSANDS WILL TRY FOR THOSE SEATS, AND A FEW WILL GET THEM, EVEN IF IT MEANS SPENDING MONEY THEY DONT HAVE.

SHAME ON YOU JOSH FOR LETTING THIS HAPPEN. I THOUGHT ONLY BARBARA STREISAND AND A FEW LIKE HER PREYED ON THEIR FANS.

I GUESS NOW, WHEN I'M TRYING TO BUY TICKETS AND DIALING THAT NUMBER FURIOUSLY, AND GETTING SOMEONE IMMEDIATELY, NOW EVEN IF I'M THE VERY FIRST CALLING IN AND I PLACE MY ORDER.....IF I CANT AFFORD THOSE HIGHER PRICE TICKETS, I'LL END UP FAR BACK IN THE STAND BECAUSE ANOTHER SINGER IS MAKING AN EXTRA MILLION DOLLARS FOR THIS SHOW!

I ACTUALLY HOPE ITS THE STADIUM THAT DOES THIS, BECAUSE I COULD NOT STAND TO THINK MR GROBAN WOULD ACTUALLY RIP OFF THIS FANS. JOSH, PLEASE TELL US IT'S NOT YOU.

A VERY DISAPPOINTED FAN SITTING IN THE BACK ROW.

Karyn, I can understand why you are upset. But I don't believe that the performers set the prices. The venues and the ticket distributors take care of that. The law of supply and demand really applies here. If you go to other distributors I think you will find that their prices are much higher than Ticketmaster. I was disappointed as well.

You don't have to buy them. People get good seats at the public sale - sometimes better than at the pre-sale. At least those tickets are not going to scalpers like they usually do.

What is the pricing for the tickets, if I may ask?

I second that, so that I can prepare myself mentally for the devastation.... :unsure:

Karyn, I understand your frustration, but front row seats for virtually any artist are generally more expensive than seats further back. Oh and as others have also stated, Josh has nothing to do with the price of tickets.

...and maybe instead of complaining about where you 'might' be sitting, why not try and just be happy that you're even able to see JG in concert? :) There are thousands and thousands of fans from all over the world that would take ANY seat in a venue just to see Josh live. I mean for goodness sake the tickets haven't even gone on sale yet and already people are getting their knickers in a twist about where they 'might' or 'might not' be sitting....I mean, c'mon...does it really matter that much??

One last thing...posting in all caps is generally frowned upon on most websites, since it's indicative of screaming.

Performers don't set the price for the tickets. Those were singer Bryan Adams' exact words to a fan last year, during a Meet & Greet before his "Bare Bones" show. This lady, who's been a fan of his since the 80's and has attended over 50 concerts, asked him why ticket prices had gotten so high over the years. He basically told her that piracy plays a huge part (records don't sell as much as they used to) and it's also very expensive to tour.

Performers don't set the price for the tickets. Those were singer Bryan Adams' exact words to a fan last year, during a Meet & Greet before his "Bare Bones" show. This lady, who's been a fan of his since the 80's and has attended over 50 concerts, asked him why ticket prices had gotten so high over the years. He basically told her that piracy plays a huge part (records don't sell as much as they used to) and it's also very expensive to tour.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE FRONT ROW WAS RESERVED FOR EITHER FRIENDS AND FAMILY, OR SOME PEOPLE JUST LUCKED OUT AND GOT THEM. TO SEE THAT THEY ARE SELLING THEM FOR AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT REALLY UPSETS ME.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR IT AND JUST HOW GREEDY ARE PEOPLE. THERE ARE MANY LOYAL FANS AND A LOT OF THEM, I'M SURE, COULD NEVER AFFORD THOSE PRICES.

THOUSANDS WILL TRY FOR THOSE SEATS, AND A FEW WILL GET THEM, EVEN IF IT MEANS SPENDING MONEY THEY DONT HAVE.

SHAME ON YOU JOSH FOR LETTING THIS HAPPEN. I THOUGHT ONLY BARBARA STREISAND AND A FEW LIKE HER PREYED ON THEIR FANS.

I GUESS NOW, WHEN I'M TRYING TO BUY TICKETS AND DIALING THAT NUMBER FURIOUSLY, AND GETTING SOMEONE IMMEDIATELY, NOW EVEN IF I'M THE VERY FIRST CALLING IN AND I PLACE MY ORDER.....IF I CANT AFFORD THOSE HIGHER PRICE TICKETS, I'LL END UP FAR BACK IN THE STAND BECAUSE ANOTHER SINGER IS MAKING AN EXTRA MILLION DOLLARS FOR THIS SHOW!

I ACTUALLY HOPE ITS THE STADIUM THAT DOES THIS, BECAUSE I COULD NOT STAND TO THINK MR GROBAN WOULD ACTUALLY RIP OFF THIS FANS. JOSH, PLEASE TELL US IT'S NOT YOU.

A VERY DISAPPOINTED FAN SITTING IN THE BACK ROW.

I just wanted to say, the front row is not always the best, I went to the last concert and was in he balcony 4 rows back, and guess what!! Josh came round the back in the dark and put his hand on my shoulder and started singing!!! So just wanted to say,you never know your luck!! MY ticket was priceless at $90

Am I the only one dumb enough to think that I could go the Box Office at 6:00AM and stand in line for a few hours to buy a single ticket!!!! :angry:

TOTAL FURY!!! There is no line for ticket on Sat morn!! NOT SOLD AT Grand Arena BOX OFFICE!!! Have to buy on line from ticketmaster or go to local ticketmaster outlet!!! Just called Box Office for info - would have been on line for nothing!!!! GOOD GRIEF - ONLY THRU TICKETMASTER!!!!!

Since when!!!! Last time he was in Vegas at Mandalay Bay I stood in line with a lot of other people for a few hours for my ticket.

The Fan Club people are getting all the tickets first? :unsure:

Spoke to rep at Ticketmaster. Either have to call on Sat morning or go to local outlet and there is no guarantee that a ticket will be available.

Guess I'll be standing on line somewhere early Sat Morning - but not at the MGM Grand Garden Arena Box Office!

"Straight To Me" - it's not. Or is this only in Vegas? :(

Kit

I was confused and think I screwed up when I bought my tickets. I didn't get front row or even center seats, but did get floor level and not too far back. When I went back into the sight to show someone where my seats were, I realized what I had done. The seats are much cheaper if you don't buy the package. Of course to get front row you have to buy the package. I sure hope the package I purchased is worth the extra $60 I paid for it. An autograph maybe?

...and maybe instead of complaining about where you 'might' be sitting, why not try and just be happy that you're even able to see JG in concert? :) There are thousands and thousands of fans from all over the world that would take ANY seat in a venue just to see Josh live.

I agree with you, Americanpye, and I am one of those fans. All of you that are groaning or moaning about where you're sitting and why prices are so high should be grateful you got tickets. Josh will probably never come to Sioux Falls, SD, which is only a couple of hours away from where I live. To see him in concert, I'd probably have to pay for more than just the ticket price. I'd have to pay for an airline ticket, motel, and other things just to go see him. And I live on a fixed income, so I won't get to see him in concert. So please be grateful you get to see him at all. :(

Michelle, you mean someone didn't force me to buy tickets? But I thought....

Hmmm let's see pay for:

Josh

The band

David Romano

Management

The behind the scenes people-including stage makeup, clothes, lighting and staging

people to drive tour busses and huge trucks

Orchestra and donation to local high school for using their chorus group

Busses and trucks

security

gas/diesel for tour busses and trucks

lighting

instruments

merchandise

staging

more security

Airborne/eccinacea

food and drinks for busses/other tour bus items

hotel expenses

more security

Assistants who help Josh and the band

Catering

WOW those expenses add up quickly!

I agree with you, Americanpye, and I am one of those fans. All of you that are groaning or moaning about where you're sitting and why prices are so high should be grateful you got tickets. Josh will probably never come to Sioux Falls, SD, which is only a couple of hours away from where I live. To see him in concert, I'd probably have to pay for more than just the ticket price. I'd have to pay for an airline ticket, motel, and other things just to go see him. And I live on a fixed income, so I won't get to see him in concert. So please be grateful you get to see him at all. :(

Here, here Imzadi. You said it very well. People should be grateful to be able to see him in concert. Of course seating is going to be more costly the closer it is toward the stage. If you want a better car, you pay more. If you want a better house, you pay more. If you want ANYTHING better, you generally expect to pay more. Why should concert tickets be any different?

Loretta, I think you probably did fine. The gold and silver packages usually mean that you will get seats a little closer, although there is no guarantee. It's a gamble.

I understand the frustration, I'm not rich, but I look at it like this: If I pay $200 per ticket for awesome seats, that's $50 bucks a year since the last time he toured. SO WORTH IT!

Michelle, you mean someone didn't force me to buy tickets? But I thought....

Hmmm let's see pay for:

Josh

The band

David Romano

Management

The behind the scenes people-including stage makeup, clothes, lighting and staging

people to drive tour busses and huge trucks

Orchestra and donation to local high school for using their chorus group

Busses and trucks

security

gas/diesel for tour busses and trucks

lighting

instruments

merchandise

staging

more security

Airborne/eccinacea

food and drinks for busses/other tour bus items

hotel expenses

more security

Assistants who help Josh and the band

Catering

WOW those expenses add up quickly!

You forgot insurance, a necessity that makes everything more expensive.

OK.

Calmed down. Joined FOJG.

Bought ticket via Ticketmaster with code provided.

Tickets are on Will Call.

Dull way to get a ticket.

No watching sunrise while riding busses.

No sun shinning off buildings.

No lines to stand on and fellow Grobanites to talk to.

No ticket to stare at until Aug 20th.....lololololol

Just fill in required info and watch clock ticking down while you make the choices and fill out info.

I stand on line in Smith's all the time. Not this time.

Now looking forward to Aug 20th!!! :D

Kit

Gee - up here tickets are never sold at the venue or anywhere else for a presale. They are all on line. And for the public sale, the venue itself never does first day sales either. Some of the TM outlets do, but they draw numbers to see who in the line goes in first etc. You may have been the first one there, but you might go in last. Their system tanks!! I now do strictly on line.

Fan clubs always get tickets first - they pay for the privilege.

Can I say, very quietly and not as any sort of complaint, that I am feeling a little bit ill at the prices that you are all talking about. They might be all understandable etc, but they are still huge to me. $90 is one of the cheap ones? If the prices are similar in the UK I will not be able to go. I thank my lucky stars (and Josh) that I was able to go to the wonderful pre-concert in London. It was an amazing (and reasonably priced) experience that I will never forget, and is starting to look like it might be my only chance to see him.

And yes, there are a lot of expenses in there, but you are talking of many thousands of seats per venue. That adds up pretty fast, and I'm thinking there are people who will be raking it in somewhere.

I got my tickets on line through Ticketmasters for the MGM grand garden arena. Did it online, no fuss, no muss. Now, just have to patiently wait for August 20th to arrive!

SinCityJackie

Am I the only one dumb enough to think that I could go the Box Office at 6:00AM and stand in line for a few hours to buy a single ticket!!!! :angry:

TOTAL FURY!!! There is no line for ticket on Sat morn!! NOT SOLD AT Grand Arena BOX OFFICE!!! Have to buy on line from ticketmaster or go to local ticketmaster outlet!!! Just called Box Office for info - would have been on line for nothing!!!! GOOD GRIEF - ONLY THRU TICKETMASTER!!!!!

Since when!!!! Last time he was in Vegas at Mandalay Bay I stood in line with a lot of other people for a few hours for my ticket.

The Fan Club people are getting all the tickets first? :unsure:

Spoke to rep at Ticketmaster. Either have to call on Sat morning or go to local outlet and there is no guarantee that a ticket will be available.

Guess I'll be standing on line somewhere early Sat Morning - but not at the MGM Grand Garden Arena Box Office!

"Straight To Me" - it's not. Or is this only in Vegas? :(

Kit

Can I say, very quietly and not as any sort of complaint, that I am feeling a little bit ill at the prices that you are all talking about. They might be all understandable etc, but they are still huge to me. $90 is one of the cheap ones? If the prices are similar in the UK I will not be able to go. I thank my lucky stars (and Josh) that I was able to go to the wonderful pre-concert in London. It was an amazing (and reasonably priced) experience that I will never forget, and is starting to look like it might be my only chance to see him.

And yes, there are a lot of expenses in there, but you are talking of many thousands of seats per venue. That adds up pretty fast, and I'm thinking there are people who will be raking it in somewhere.

Julia, the prices vary by venue, but I think much of what they are talking about are the 'package deal' prices. Apparently the front row seats are all $300 and up (!! out of MY league). Then most? all? of the seats in rows 2-?? are reserved for the gold and silver packages, that apparently also include cutesy memorabilia crap, access to junk food snacks, and access to sale tables of official merchandise without being trampled by thousands of other fans at the venue. I'm not sure on the package stuff; I can't find the descriptions here (I am basing my comments on descriptions of the Awake tour "VIP packages"), so don't know if it was supposed to be a FOJG thing or what. After THAT, there are two levels of regular seat prices. I think the lower cost (less desirable) tickets are in the $55 -$75 range, and the higher cost tickets are in the $80-$90 range, but then there are venue taxes, venue fees, ticketmaster fees, etc. that add $10-$15 or more to the cost of each ticket.

It does sound like someone, somewhere, is raking in an awful lot of money, but people at every level -- the venues, the promoters, etc. -- deny it.

The costs do vary widely for tickets by venue as do fees. The tickets are quite expensive, as are all tickets now and many people are priced out of the market. I look at it as we are customers and as long as we pay the given amount, they figure the cost is fair enough. They are business people and look at profit, not the individual. It is a privilege to hear Josh sing, but it's also a privileged life we provide him with our monetary support. There is a line that public folks have to walk. It may not be his decision on all costs or some other things, but being the boss, the fault lands squarely on him.

A fair complaint about the VIP packages is that the rows they reserve, with the exception of the front row package, vary by venue. They also sell some of those same seats at regular price. How would you feel if the people around you paid regular ticket price for seats in your row or in front of you and you paid twice as much or more?

You can go to the venue here or call them, but they are logged on to ticketmaster doing the same thing you would do on your computer at home. Our smaller venues sell their own tickets.

Problem is that you can't go online and expect to get the first couple of rows. Rarely happens. With some of the packages, it is guaranteed. Normally, I would go to two or three shows. This time I am going to only one. So I decided to treat myself to front row with what I would have saved. Not counting travel expenses. I was in and done in two minutes, and no throwing back of crappy seats. I kind of like this. But it is a personal choice. Extra shows or front row seat.

Hummmm... Well worth the price to see my fav in concert. Got pretty good seats thru the presale at Staples Center in LA. would have loved front row, but have to stay within my means and what I can afford... being in the same room and breathing the same air as JG is all that matters.

Thought I would poke around at other ticket selling sights, and I actually got a great, if not fantastic deal thru pre-sale! So stoked... My seats if not

purchased thru the JG site was selling for $300-600.

Can't wait for August to roll around! I agree with most of the replies... logical and makes sense to me.....

Not sure if this will make you feel better, but I just bought tickets through the presale and DIDN'T buy the package but still got 2nd row anyway. The price of the tickets isn't in Josh's control. If you follow the music industry, the performers tend to make the most money off of the sale of merchandise since the promoters get a huge chunk of ticket revenue. Here's a really interesting articleabout U2 that was very enlightening. I just read an article recently that now the record companies are forcing artists into new contracts taking a bigger cut of the normal merchandising proceeds....I guess most are losing money now that everything is going digital/online.

that is probably WAY more than you wanted to know LOL I will say this about Josh. He genuinely appears to care more about his fans than most musicians (as evidenced by the extension of ticket sales today after the site crashed yesterday...he could have just ignored it and made everyone wait...would have made the same amount of money)

Hope y'all can make the tour :)

Elizabeth