JuliaC

The Bad Grobanite Thread

27,170 posts in this topic

Good point. I do think that developing better eating and exercise habits is key. And it is so terribly easy to slide back into old habits.

I have an app on my phone that tracks activity. But I can't seem to remember to carry my phone everywhere I go, so it has developed something of a nagging habit! LOL!

Oh drat. I think I finally managed to kill off another thread... :(

I hope all of you are doing well and having an interesting summer. I've been pretty busy with one thing and another, but after this week, things should calm down just a bit. One of my major volunteer responsibilities will ease off considerably now that a new staff leader has been chosen. I am looking forward to having a bit more freedom soon, and perhaps will even get to travel a bit come September or October.

Did you all see that Josh apparently is recording again? Woohoo!

Yep, and his show is closing in a couple of weeks.  It can't have been all that good, if it couldn't survive without Josh.  Many shows go on for years with different lead stars.

I think there was an issue with a big name in the lead role, honestly. They offered it to someone (from Hamilton, I think!), then decided he wasn't big enough, so offered it to Mandy Patankin and it was handed badly, and it turned into a black guy getting pushed aside for a white guy, and then neither of them wanted it so Dave Malloy is stepping in for the last few weeks. Its really sad that it was handled like that and is closing so soon, but maybe lessons learned?

Unrelatedly, I saw the Goo Goo Dolls last night and when Johnny Reznick was introducing the band, Craig MacIntyre is now playing drums for them! It was kind of a fun surprise and I was all "hey, I know that guy!" that all being said, the GGD put on a good show, Johnny has aged badly but still sounds good, and the two girls who sat next to me and talked fairly loudly to be heard over the music for the first half of their set before deciding they'd had enough were lucky they didn't get an elbow thrown into their face. Just because you get free tickets (as we did too), doesn't give you the right to be a rude douchebag. If you aren't interested THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Ugh. 

Hope all is well with everyone, we've had a busy summer! Traveled to London for a friend's wedding and had such a fun time. What a cool city. Driving there however, is nonsense. :) I've been reading here, just not really posting. 

Who: glad to hear of your success with the fitness app

I have been running around a lot.  Went to Virginia and NH.  Have been neglecting this board.

Cancer monitoring continues: I had a CT scan this week and it was clear.  Going for the CA-125 level test today, which I expect to be up again.

I have not been a Bad Grobanite at all.  I've been defending the Comet & Josh.  Here's my blog http://straightarrow372.blogspot.com/2017/08/more-thoughts-about-greatcometbway-and.html

Nah, it's just a really busy time. I still haven't caught up from vacation. I am working to install three doors in our house. We are moving the door in the garage to the back wall so we can fill in the stoop which fills with water all the time. You walk out and step up into the yard. We want to remove it and fill it in with dirt. I call it the anti-stoop. The door will now open onto the covered patio. Then we have are replacing the front door as the original one is a flimsy door that you cannot put a deadbolt on, so we need to fix that. Then in the back bedroom we are using as a den, I want to replace the window with a door so we have direct access to the back yard. It's a pain to go through the house and garage through the back door, especially in winter. We have to let the dogs out several times a day, so this will be very much easier.

Monday they are coming to replace the furnace and put in central a/c. Now before you get excited, this will only affect the first floor, so mom will be happy, but I will still be using room heaters and window a/c units upstairs. I only have two vents for the entire floor and they cannot put in more vents (it would require ripping the house up) and since mom was taking the estimates, she really didn't check into using mini-splits or anything. They would have to add another electrical box and why go to all that trouble when you don't live in that part of the house.

My toilet is leaking. It's driving me nuts. I have installed the toilet three times. I've followed the directions, but it keeps coming loose. I am going to have to call a plumber and I hate wasting that kind of money. However, I cannot have the toilet destroying the floor.

Then, I bought an LG washer about four years ago and now it's constantly out of balance. I miss my mechanical machine and won't buy another LG anything. They are a poor brand. I bought the five year extended warranty, so they are going to fix it, but next time it won't be in warranty and then it will be less money to buy a new machine, though they are quite expensive now. It can take hours to get a load of wash done. It stops working and flashes UE until you open the lid, look inside where everything looks even, move the clothes about and shut the lid and  hit the start button again. Then you either have to wait, or walk away and come back to find it's UE again. Such a pain. I called them up and gave them the machine number and they cancelled the appointment to order parts without even coming out. So, apparently, this is such a common problem with these machines that they know to just order the parts before they show up. I also googled it and found tons of bad reviews. When I bought the stupid thing, it had great reviews, but shortly thereafter, they started sinking. LG doesn't care either. I am so glad I changed my mind on the warranty. It has a ten year warranty on the direct drive motor, which will probably last forever, but the rest of the machine that will break down and need repair is only covered for the first few months. When I have to replace this thing, I will just get an older type one. They last for decades instead of a few years.

I am still sorting through things from vacation. I have piles of papers and a bunch of stuff I didn't get done and now they are still there. My computer desk is a giant pile too. Sorting through stuff and getting rid of things is a lot more work than getting them. That's for sure.

I have had such a busy couple of weeks too. Trying to catch up at work. Then this week has been meetings and had a dinner last night. Then tomorrow night I have a birthday dinner for my niece, who is 14 today. Then on Sunday we go to my sister's place for a bbq for her and her boyfriend's birthday. Then next week we have a meeting and I have an all day seminar and on the 21st, there is the eclipse. Then it's almost September. Gosh time is flying right now, but I don't like it when I have too much stuff on the calendar. Very stressful.

I am really looking forward to a new album by Josh. I love stage music and always have, but I want more of his music, but nothing like Illuminations. I've been years without a new fix, so I hope he gets to it. I know he loved the musical thing, but since they promoted it as a Josh Groban vehicle, they shot themselves in the foot. As much as he loves the idea, he was never going to stay playing that part forever.

I know what I need to do to lose weight. I just like to eat and I hate exercising for the most part. I do need to get serious about it though.

I HATE leaky things as well.  It is good to try doing things yourself as it is a very low cost in parts relative to a professional's labor.

We have mostly Sears/Kenmore clothes and dishwashers.  The price and reviews were both better.  While some other models have fancy bells and whistles, we don't really use all of them.  One more thing to break!  I have heard bad things about some of the LGs and Samsung appliances as well.  Also, some of the newer Maytags have been trouble for us.

My spouse noticed a spot on my back, so I am going to the dermatologist tomorrow.  At least I am off work, and maybe can knock out some errands tomorrow.

I had lunch today with some coworkers who retired recently.  It's weird being the only one dressed professionally!  The restaurant was a bit of a dive, but the food was decent.

Be well, everyone!

Most stars who decide to do a Broadway role don't do it for all that long.  A year at most usually.  Just long enough to get it going.

There is a reason these people are stars. They have something that makes their performances stand out, that Xfactor. I went to see Finding Neverland, because I was so impressed with Matthew Morrison's performance of one of the songs on the Tonys.

The day I went he wasn't there, not sure if he had left permanently. The guy they had replacing him was good, but just didn't have that edge.  it wasn't the same. 

If it is a really great show, it can go along for years with many different people playing the lead.  Like most of Andrew Lloyd Weber's stuff.  I saw Phantom with Colm Wilkinson, who played the role here for three years.  The show ran for ten years with many different actors in the lead role, including Paul Stanley of KISS.  He got good reviews too.  Michael Crawford was the original Phantom, but Wilkinson was Lloyd Weber's first choice.  He couldn't do it, because he had already committed to do Les Miz.

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals. There is something about really catchy tunes, isn't there? I have a feeling that the Pierre role would not be easy to fill, just from the standpoint of choosing someone who could play both piano and accordion well enough to "pass". I seem to recall hearing that that was the main issue with the Hamilton guy, too. Maybe that was just an excuse used to cover up for some bad decision-making on the part of the producers, though.

It sounds as though all of you have been very busy this summer. I am hoping to have a less hectic schedule starting tomorrow. There are a couple of little projects I would like to spend some time on before fall. And some serious cleaning, sigh.

Well, typed this on Friday and didn't press post hard enough.

We had my niece's birthday dinner last night. We went to Lonestar Steakhouse. We spent the time screaming at each other over the music. They blast it, like many other restaurants, and it's stupid. It's a trick to make the place sound more lively and exciting. However, listening to people scream at each other because they cannot hear isn't really excitement. The food is good though. We went back to the house and had cake and ice cream.

I surprised my 13 year old nephew when I tickled him from behind and he shrieked and then starts crying. So he spent the rest of the time pouting. He was so proud of himself that he didn't get caught on the way in. Wasn't my intent to surprise him, but he's 13 and shouldn't be crying because he was surprised. The other kids were laughing and I've done this their entire lives. They are thoroughly tickled children. He's going to have such a tough adulthood when crying and having a fit isn't accepted at work. Or he doesn't get his way. 

Sears may not be in business much longer. That idiot they hired and paid millions to took down both Sears and Kmart. It was stupid and he shouldn't have gotten a cent. That money should go to all those workers who no longer have jobs because of him. I almost bought the Samsung washer, which I guess wouldn't have been the best choice either. The guy came and fixed the washer yesterday. He said that LG changed something a couple years after I got my washer. Hopefully it lasts as I don't want to have to get another one any year soon.

I just want to go home and nap. Tomorrow is going to be a really challenging day. Hope to get the front door put in. It could go really well, or quite badly. The back room door will be the hardest.

Sears is closing down up here too.  All our big department stores from yesteryear are now gone.  I don't count Walmart in there.  I always liked Sears' Kenmore brand of stuff and bought a lot of it over the years.

Yes, I think the days of Sears are numbered. It was a huge PR error to take away employees' pensions while shelling out millions to the various higher-ups (despite incompetence). I almost never go there anymore, although I also bought a lot of appliances from them over the years. I heard someone say the other day that Sears had incredible online potential but managed to squander it. That's about right, IMO.

The Sears in our mall downsized from two floors to one.  It's really a pity, and the store is a shell of its former self.  All the Sears hardware stores and K-Marts around us closed.  We have gotten good appliances from Sears, and generally things have worked out well.  My son did get an iPhone through the Sears website and it was a pretty good deal at the time.  It is a good place for tools, which we get sometimes.  Alas, I agree that it will go out of business or be broken up into little pieces.  For example, I can forsee someone taking up the Kenmore or Craftsman names.

Wow - we haven't had K-Marts or before that, Kresges, for decades.  As kids in my small town in Northern Ontario, we had an Eatons, Simpson's, Metropolitan, and Kresges, which was great.  They had the best lunch counter and bakery.  We hung out there.  Now that town has nothing.  It is kind of sad.

Eatons was great. I missed it for years after it closed. It always seemed to have the perfect professional clothing in brands that fit me well. They had interesting furniture, and I always thought their towels and linens were of excellent quality. In fact, I still have and use a few items all these years later.

I had forgotten all about Metropolitan! I liked that store too--they had one here when I first came here as a university student. Woolworth's and Woolco were other places that I used to shop at occasionally. I think we used to have Marshall Wells and Field's and Saan also. And Zellers. I guess we are just about down to Sears, Walmart and the Bay for department stores here, and even they are not as complete and well-stocked as they once were.

Eatons was a great company.  My mom loved coming down here so she could go and hit Eatons and Simpsons.  Up north, we got the catalogues twice a year from both of them and shopped from those.  Eatons sold everything from pianos to guns - even handguns at one time.  The clothing was good quality, and their Viking brand of electronics was good too.  Luckily we still have the Eaton Center to remember them by.  The Bay took over the old Simpson's store.  The old Eatons store was torn down to make the Eaton center.  They were across the street from each other and each year tried to out-do each other to see who could do the best Christmas windows.  They were spectacular, and drew huge crowds.  Eatons also started our Santa Claus parade and sponsored it for decades.

Glad to hear Josh is recording again.Hope it has nothing to do with stage shows.

Andrew lloyd Webber shows were the best.So many memorable songs written by him and Tim Rice.I am thinking of Cats,Evita and many others.They were a great team.