JuliaC

The Bad Grobanite Thread

27,094 posts in this topic

Para.congratulations you are very clever doung your bathroom.You must have saved a pile of money doing it yourself.What a huge project to take on.Good luck with your interview.

Good luck with your interview tomorrow Para!  With 2 1/2 hours it sounds like they're going to put you to the test - like give you tasks you have to figure out how to do successfully.  Hey, if you can remodel a bathroom by yourself, you can do anything!

I am more than a little annoyed at work.  Some of us planned a retirement luncheon for our administrator and a couple of co-workers.  The money was collected, cards signed, food ordered and paid for, and all gifts purchased.  Then this afternoon two nimrods came to my office wanting to know if they could get their money back because another staff member was planning a fish fry.  I am pissed that something else was planned after we announced the luncheon.  And I am really pissed that people actually asked for money back so they could go to the other event.  I returned the first one's money out of a small reserve fund because I thought it was just him.  When the other one came a few minutes later I said sorry, no, the money has been spent.  The nerve! 

It's hot out and humid. Icky. We had a pop up thunderstorm on Monday morning. Just poured all day. Thunder and lightening. Flooding, hail. The whole shebang. 

Well, I made it through my interview. Stayed away from mom. I think she just ate something bad. Now I just have to wait to hear back. I saw a sheet and it looks like they interviewed two other people. I am sure they are nice, but I really hope they sucked. I want this job. I will be quite whiny if I don't get it. I should hear at the end of the week or the beginning of next week. That feels like forever. 

I would be annoyed too Jenny. I mean, if you pay you are committed. It should be made pretty clear what is going on for everyone. Don't let it get to you too much though. 

I did manage to get my bathroom done enough not to have to use her's. It was nice. Bathroom cost me more than I had planned, but yes, would have cost a fortune to have a professional do it. I only did the one half as the tub part is going to cost a real fortune. I re-used the vanity, just added a piece of wood to the front to make it an inch wider. But my body is sore all over from crawling all around. I have been to the hardware store non-stop for a couple of weeks because there was nothing I did that didn't require me buying some thing or replacing some thing or getting a different size of some thing. I am so glad to be almost done. I have to caulk and do touch up paint and replace a light bulb. Fixture was up a day and a light bulb went out. They came with the fixture, so were probably not the best quality. 

Every time I walk in there, I am just happy. I love the color on the walls. I love that it is almost done. I love that my floor is not patched with packing tape anymore. It was quite ghetto. Also, Moira, my cat, seems to like the floor. So, bonus.

Now, I need to wash my dog, finish planning my summer trip that is a month away. Mentally it was really a long time from now, but it's not. Also have to give the dogs their pills. Have to get them in and get their kennel cough shots up to date as we have to board them for a few days. 

Stopped at Aldi's today and picked up a beach umbrella. They have them this week for $15. Last year I had to huddle behind a large regular umbrella at the beach and it was no fun. I probably won't swim or play in the water as I can't be in the sun that much, but I want to be comfy for the hours I will be trying to make sure she doesn't drown herself or the random kids she will pick up. Though the gas mileage sucks, I am actually glad we are taking the big car so we can haul all the crap we need with us instead of paying lots more for it on the road.

The twins are off to camp next week, so I may not have to spend the night at my brother's house. Have to also arrange if the kids are going to stay with their uncle and aunt or not after my trip. So much figuring to do. 

Did anyone else read about that apartment fire in London? Holy gosh, that was just terrible. It will be interesting to see what the cause was and how they will work to make sure such things don't happen again.

Well, have to let the dogs out and get back to bed. I took a nap tonight as I didn't sleep well last night and was just exhausted all day long. Ugh.

I went out and bought  gaming computer that my kids and I can use, hopefully to create a VR background for my video.  I got it home and discovered that it's an 800 W device.  That's like a small space heater!  I think I'll need a dedicated circuit for it and an additional air conditioner.  I didn't anticipate this.

My younger son had a work test today where he had to work in a hotel for half a day.  This was sponsored by the state agency that is supposed to help people with disabilities find work.  He found the test exhausting, but seemed to think it went ok.  It's definitely progress that he's actually making and keeping appointments with the state agency.  A few years ago the agency said he wasn't work ready, because they couldn't get him to cooperate.  

The older one was informed that he wouldn't be needed at work until July, so hopefully that means that he will be available to help me with the video.

Para, I'm not sure which is worse- the interview or the aftermath of waiting and replaying all your interview answers in your head.  I can always think of the most clever and insightful things to say AFTERWARDS.  That's a big help (not).  At least you wont have to wait too long. 

Congratulations to your younger son Arrow!  With kids who have disabilities even a little progress is always monumental.  It sounds like he's becoming more independent, which is a huge thing.

I heard about the apartment fire in London.  Just awful!  They said they are investigating the cause.  I hope there was no terrorist act behind it.

I'm so angry at that yahoo who shot at the Republican lawmakers in Virginia (yes, I know he's dead).  When people do things like that it makes all people who oppose the current administration look like crazies and it detracts from the real issues.  I can't stand what the Republican leaders have done to this country, but I don't wish them any harm. 

That fire was so horrendous.  I have never seen anything like it.  Jenny - evidently safety was a big issue in that building, and the tenants had complained numerous times.  Of course, nothing much was done.  Maybe now they will start listening to the people who have to live in these buildings.

Here, many apartment fires are started by stupid people tossing their cigarettes off their balconies.  We had one the same day as the London fire.

There were two shootings the same day - the other one at a mail delivery company.  The only politician that I would like to see get removed the hard way is Trump.  He's evil.

I heard tonight that the fire spread so quickly because of the exterior cladding, which was not fire resistant. Even then, the fire might not have been so serious and fast-moving except that the apartments did not have sprinkler systems installed. Horrible. Apparently the minister in charge of housing in the UK is a landlord himself, so there is sure to be a scandal. The death toll will be much higher than currently reported, too. Just horrible.

There's been some interesting developments following the Republican baseball shooting. On some of the sites I read, it appears that people on both extremes of the left-right continuum have suddenly realized that they don't actually want to kill each other just because they disagree politically. That could be a positive development. If the rhetoric could just calm down a bit, and people could actually talk to each other about important stuff, everyone would be better off.

If your rules are like ours, buildings built before a certain time are not required to have sprinklers.  Don't know what the rules are in England - anyone out there who can inform us?  My building was built in the 50s and has no sprinklers, but we have VERY loud fire bells.  OMG - they test them all the time, and the dead in the cemetery up the street are complaining.

The London fire must have spread so fast because of that cladding, which evidently created a kind of wind tunnel.   I have never seen anything like that one.  We have had high rise fires, but they rarely burn more than a floor or two.  The codes are very strict and each unit is kind of like a separate concrete box.  That London building only had one staircase for folks to get out - we have two.  Many buildings have more.

Well, I didn't hear anything this week about the job. This wait is killing me. Hopefully it will be early next week. One way or another, I just want to know. I am not good with suspense.

My heart thumping is back. It went away for a few days and came back. My heart is fine, it's gerd related. However, new doctor, so I am having to suffer through more ekg's and stuff where they will find that my inflamed esophagus is irritating my heart and being able to feel your heart move in your chest is a really annoying thing. We've changed my stomach pills, but it's not helping. I really don't want to go back on the ppi's, but I may not have a choice if this keeps up. I had some chocolate milk tonight, which seems to have helped a bit. Why, I do not know, but I have lots of it in the fridge. It was on sale, so I grabbed a load. It keeps for months. For some reason, it helps. So, Monday after work, I get to have an EKG. I am sure it will be normal like all the others. Why these people don't listen when I tell them it's the gerd and if you ease the gerd, the heart thumping stops, I will never understand. I've been through this all before and like before, all my tests are normal. Not that I am complaining, as having a good working heart is important, but I need it to be under control so I can enjoy vacation next month.

Yes, that fire was inexcusable. Especially telling people to wait in their apartments, putting in solid windows not made to pop out for escape or rescue. The siding was some form of plastic and the insulation underneath it burned like paper and climbed the building. The only people who really got out are those who got the notice and ran. I mean, where were the fire alarms? There were no sprinklers either. I saw video of people storming the city services building. They are still clearing the building. So very sad. I am sure they aren't going to be happy with what they find.

Eb, we have cigarette fires too. Mostly from people falling asleep with them. Places are mostly smoke free now, or have separate buildings for smokers.

Some bad weather just rolled through. Hopefully that is it for the weekend. Mom's dog was freaked out, as usual.

Oh, yes, the 'white guy with a gun' problem that we have here. No, it will change nothing. They want even fewer rules now so more people there could have had a gun. It will make that terrible congressman seem sympathetic and he doesn't deserve that. I noticed the president was all on top of that, but missed all the other tragedies and had to be schooled into responding to them.

It's not the gun. It's never the gun. Heck, if they didn't have a gun, then they would have used a knife or a bat. So, it's not the gun. The NRA wants you to know that and they pay millions to get that message to cancel out all the lives that are harmed or lost every day by guns. Guns were made for one thing and one thing only. I don't care if you use your's to target shoot only. It's a deadly weapon that we just don't need anymore. People have guns to protect themselves from other guns. It's stupid. So stupid. I may not be happy with our government, and scared of the total devilry they are practicing, but I don't want anyone to be harmed, no matter how much they may deserve to pay a price.

Right now we have so many things to watch for in our government that we can't keep up. That is their plan. It will take ages to dig ourselves out from this fiasco. They released a poll today saying he has a 50% approval rating. I don't believe that for a moment. Now he has stepped back the Cuba rules and that will cost Americans millions of dollars. He's creepy and not a single one of the people he has put into place has kept, or ever had any intention to keep their oath of office. They are just destroying everything to give a tax break to the ultra wealthy and make it easier for businesses to make money by ripping off the citizens without any penalty. Heck, they aren't even going to bother to investigate discrimination anymore, so what's the point of having them around. I cannot believe people still believe in him at all. I especially note the folks who think his kids are off limits after all the things they said and created around the last president's kids. The presidential kids have been in the spotlight since they'be been around. Anyone else remember Amy Carter on Saturday Night Live?

The internet is a great thing, but humans just can't help being humans. The Matrix was right.

Something good is always going on in the world too. It's hard to keep that in mind when the bad is so in your face.

I have to finish planning my trip next month. So much driving and so much to see. Should be fun.

Yes, for our building, they thought it cost too much to put sprinklers in, so they put in a different fire system that has this woman always asking for our attention. We ignore it. Heck, the other day when it was a real fire alarm, we all checked our phone for the alert and didn't go out. It was a faulty circuit that time, but since it goes off so much, it's not very effective.

Now, we have a new residential hall that will open for the fall semester. The other two halls built back in the 50's were going to cost a fortune to retrofit, so they are tearing them down. I lived in one of them. They are taking the asbestos out of it. Great to know now.

They are also tearing down two residential dorm towers downtown. It was going to cost too much to retrofit them too, so they build some more dorms and are going to implode the old ones this fall over break. Should be pretty cool. Don't know what they are going to do with the land though.

Yes, padlig, I wish people would just talk stuff out too. We seem to have lost that ability in the last few years. It's just yelling at each other instead of listening.  

The fire in London was started in a flat on the 4th floor .A fridge/freezer caught fire.It was placed in front of a window which was ajar and the flames caught tge cladding on the building.It went up like a torch.There were fire alarms in appartment but not in the general corridors.The block was built in 1972 ahd was brought up to date just last year.The cladding was added last year and  the contractors didn,t use fire retardent panels.No sprinkers were put in as I dont think they need to be for a property built before 2007(i think).Various other thingswere changed inside,including,I think,new kitchens.New firedoors were added to each flat and that is why the rules of the building were to remain in your apartment until you were rescued.No one foresaw that the fire would spread up the outsiðe of the building.There was only one staircase in the building.All alterations were signed off by the local council who own the building.Alterationscost 10.5 million pounds sterling.There are loads of other appartment blocks in the UK and worldwide using thesame cladding,which is very frightening.

An awful tragedy up to now 53 people have died but the figure will rise again.Whole families stayed in their apartments and by the time they realised no one was coming to rescue them it was too late.6 people died jumping from windows and three children were also thrown from windows.I know one child of two was caught by someone but i don,t know about the other two.It is theworst fire of its type ever in the UK.There were 400 firefighters there but there wasn,t much they could do as the fire was in most parts of the buildingwithin 30 minutes.

That is all ai know for now.....irene.

Wow, that sucks. I hope that this saves lives in the future. Retrofitting buildings costs more than tearing them down and building new ones. So we have four dorms that are being torn down and have been replaced by new dorms. The new dorms are not towers now and are only four or five stories tall at most. They have several exits and fire escape windows and sprinkler systems. Here they didn't have to have sprinklers until a few years ago either. Plus many of our old building have asbestos and you go digging in the walls, you have that problem to deal with.

I hope they remove that cladding from all those buildings. You have to know the people who made that stuff knew it was flammable. That is so scary.

I also hope that this is the Titanic of fires. So much life was lost on that ship that no ship, a hundred years later now, goes without enough life boats. Whenever we talk about boat/ship safety, we always come back to the Titanic and how that can never happen again. I hope they clean all this up and nobody ever has to come to this end again because buildings are safer. I just cannot imagine losing everyone in one fell swoop.

Here is a really weird thing, the day before the fire, on my facebook feed was a device made for towers where you put on a harness and this device lowered you down the side of the building to safety.

I am cancelling my gym membership today. I cannot make myself go, so I don't want to keep paying for it. I think there must be something about the place that I don't like. I have belonged to other gyms and have gone, but not this one. Went once and I guess I really don't want to go back. Very odd. Hopefully I get my new job and will join the university or YMCA gyms. They are just more expensive and that doesn't fit into the budget right now.

Cloudy here today, but no real storm damage. South part of town and surrounding towns got a lot of wind damage. Roofs off, trees down and electricity out. Don't think anyone got hurt though.

Now back to cleaning more stuff. Lots of cleaning. Boring.

I think here in my area if you do an extensive renovation like that you have to put in sprinklers.  I guess they'll change that now in London?  Horrible tragedy

I have not been a Bad Grobanite.  I've been listening to the cast recording of Comet & blogged about it http://straightarrow372.blogspot.com/2017/06/cast-recording-of-comet-cc-joshgroban.html

I went to my college reunion. I developed a flyer for my books, which I've been keeping secret & I passed them out to people.  I don't want them to die with me.  Coming out of the closet as a novel writer.  

Some fans are doing an event July 2 in conjunction with Josh's last performance. I finally checked out whether there were tickets still available, but they were $359.  I decided not to splurge.  There are some cheaper ones before then, but I've got the album and I'm getting a lot out of that.

Mom is leaving on a trip tomorrow with my middle niece and oldest nephew. He's going to see his dad and mom and my niece are going to shop. They both love that.

After a few years, they've finally come and replaced our sidewalk. It will be nice to have it not be the only one left in the neighborhood that was all messed up.

I haven't heard a thing about the job. The suspense is killing me. I am pretty sure I didn't get it since it's been a week and nary a word, but I would like to know for sure. Argh.

I have seen several performances of various bits of Comet, but none of them have really made me want to go see it, not that I could anyhow it being so far away.

I have no interest in stage musicals whatsoever.  Most of the music in them is boring and loud.  Lots of what is on stage is recycled crap from decades ago - South Pacific?  Hello Dolly?  Sound of Music?  Gimme a break!  The only show that I saw live that I liked the music was Phantom.  Hated Les Miz.

Hope Josh gets back down to business soon.  The last thing I listened to him doing was ATE.  Need something new.

I was not a fan of Les Miz either, EB, and don't really care for the cheesy old musicals unless I know someone in them. A local amateur group does a musical at the start of each summer, and some of them are quite a lot of fun. It will be Spamalot this year, and I just might buy a ticket.  I liked Phantom too, and I would go to see Joseph again. I actually saw Ted Neely in Jesus Christ, Superstar a few years back, and that was awesome.

Yes, I am ready for some new Josh music as well. I have the sense that his voice is richer and more flexible thanks to his Broadway prep and work, so whatever comes next could be remarkable!

Fingers crossed that you will get good news about the job, Para!

Oh, I love musicals. Both on stage and screen. I love the music of Le Mis. South Pacific is about my favorite show. I saw a revival of it several years ago. It was pretty good. I have seen some duds too, but for the most part, they are fun and more of an in person experience. We had Joseph and the technicolor dreamcoat here a couple years ago and it was pretty bad and I was very glad when it was over. Just saw Matilda too and I didn't love it. It was ok, but the girls were bored and I don't really blame them. The routines were quite good, but it just didn't work for me. I had been looking forward to it too. This upcoming season I am seeing Kinky Boots. 

Spamalot was pretty funny, especially if you are a Monty Python fan and get the humor of the group.

I am years past ready for some new Josh music. Finally watched the GMA ep with him on it from around Easter and he talked about roughing his voice up for the part. I hope he unroughs it afterwards and does something more along the lines of Closer. He's tried all kinds of new things and they aren't really what his audience wants, so maybe he can scoot back to his path to us again.

Thanks padlig. Now I could hear by tomorrow. Or not. There is no hurry here, except for those of us who are waiting to hear, of course.

Well, back to staring at spreadsheets. It's the tedious time of year.

I forgot about Joseph - I used to volunteer at a theater here and Joseph played there.  I saw it 6 times.  Three with Donny Osmond and three with David Burnham, the guy who replaced him.  It was a pretty good show.  There were other ones that were pretty good too - We Will Rock You and Defending the Caveman.  That had me almost falling out of my seat - hilarious.

I hope he can unrough his voice.  Sometimes you can't undo stuff like that.  He said once that if he had chosen to go the opera route rather than pop singing, there was often no going back.

I saw Ted Neely in the movie.  Seeing him live would have been great.

I've been disappointed in the most recent film versions of musicals, especially Les Mis and Phantom of the Opera.  In the case of Les Mis, the supporting actors who were real Broadway singers outshone the Hollywood actors by a long shot.  In the case of Phantom, I liked the silent film version with Lon Cheney and Mary Philbin the best (as it is also closest to the book).

Some good news: Child #2 graduated from 6th grade and even got a nice award.  The kid has some learning disabilities but still made some notable improvements and achievements.  And speaking of musicals, the school managed to put together a musical that mixed up themes from "Beauty and the Beast," "Zootopia," and "Love Boat."  It was hysterical, and the kids did a great job.  Our child got to play Beast in a couple of scenes and brought down the house.