JuliaC

The Bad Grobanite Thread

26,994 posts in this topic

I just saw Tariqh in this Jackie Evancho video

I love her and all, but somehow it worries me.  What if he's not available to tour with Josh this summer?

So this MIT professor thinks that the the gas attack in Syria was staged

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mit-expert-claims-latest-chemical-100819428.html

Very concerning.  Did #45 know it was staged and staged a responsive bombing of the Syrian airport to make it look like there was a rift between him and Putin?  Or did the rebels stage the gas attack to provoke the US to get involved again?  Hard to know who to trust these days.

Well, it's been a busy time for me and will remain so until the end of May. There are lots of family events and obligations scheduled, which could be fun or could be disastrous. I spent a few days helping my mother last month, and, honestly, Para, I do not know how you do it on a daily basis. I guess the good thing is that her health seems much improved, and she has lots of energy again in order to be critical. Though I still speak to her on the phone most days, I have made up my mind not to visit again for a while.

After a lovely stretch of weather during March, we are back to more wintry conditions. There was some snow on Easter Sunday, although it melted away by late afternoon. I realized today that I had not gone on my usual Easter Sunday (wild) crocus hunt, and fear that it may be too late to find any now.

I hope to finish up a sewing project tomorrow. It's part of a Renaissance-style costume for my daughter to wear as part of a three-week job she has immediately following her Convocation. Of course, the pattern is quite difficult for someone who has not done much sewing in recent years! I have resolved to work steadily on it, but to allow myself to take breaks after each couple of steps so that I don't get frustrated. That was a good plan--but other stuff interfered with it and now I am left with having one day--tomorrow!--to finish it up! A while back, after I finished up the first piece of the costume, I impulsively purchased a new serger (overlock) to replace the one I've tried to use for the past 25 years. It was a most frustrating piece of equipment, and never has worked well despite many visits to the repair shop. So far, the new one is a delight! (fingers crossed!)

Arrow, I've actually seen Fernando Varelo perform a couple of times. He is very talented and I enjoyed his concerts very much. David Foster has been mentoring him for the past few years, I believe.

I wear high heels and it will turn into a medical emergency fairly quickly.

I do wish Josh would take some good advice from David Foster again and give us an album we would really love. I know Josh loves music and I know he likes to explore, but you have to give your audience what they want at some point. Broadway is great, but I just like the regular songs as most of the songs on Broadway, you have to know the story or context to really understand to appreciate them. I just hope after July 2nd, he'll get his butt back in the studio and get to work.

Oh, padlig, there are times when my mom is lucky I have a lot of restraint. She pushes those buttons for sure. Mostly, I try to see her as little as possible. I live on a different floor of the house. She's in bed by 8:30pm or earlier. We both work and have different activities. She watches the kids on Sunday and Monday nights, so she's gone. It works. I make it work because I am not finding a better deal on housing anywhere near here, that's for sure. She is not my first old person either.

I do understand staying away from family members you don't need to be around. I never understood why just because you are family automatically means you have to see and talk to each other, even if you don't like each other. Write a letter or a note or send a text. I know people who just put up with stupid crap all the time, 'because they are family'. 

You can train your mom on what your rules are. I hate when every single thing in the world is a negative. If your mom starts to criticize you, just stop her and either end the call, or simply state that that her criticizing isn't what you called for or need and if she doesn't stop, end the call. I've done that and my mom behaves much better now. There are just certain things that are none of her business and I didn't ask for her help or comments. It's not easy nor fast, but, man, it's so much better. I don't want to scream or fight as I am an adult, so when I tell you something, take it at face value. I do not want you to do that. I don't like when you talk about 'this or that' in such a manner. It hurts my feelings when you talk to me in that manner. You are being rude to me. Your criticizing does not help, what else is going on? Have to train people on how you would like them to behave around you. You would think that since they are your family, they would realize your boundaries. Hey, just because she's my mom, doesn't mean she doesn't have to behave in a civil manner. They often push back that they were just trying to be helpful and you should appreciate it. No, they are being rude and they know it. Plus I also have my best friend I I just go off and she talks me down when mom pushes it too far.

Mom is also going to be gone this weekend visiting my oldest brother. I get to babysit the pets. I don't have anything planned, so I will probably be at home all weekend, if I am lucky. I have some gardening that needs to be done. We'll see if the body is up to it. Lots of seeds to plant. Also, have to add dirt to the raised gardens. I think I am going to plant a few carrots for fun and some lettuce and one tomato plant. The rest of the garden areas I am moving to just flowers. I don't have the time to mess with growing veggies so much anymore and haven't had too much success in the last few years, so flowers are great. I want to get a lilac bush too. Love lilacs. Very old fashioned plant. Want to find some chokecherry bushes too. Plus have to remember to buy a bird net so I can plant my flower seeds with half a hope they don't get all eaten.

Yep, you are absolutely right, Para.  Being family should not give a person the right to get in your face or push your buttons.  If they don't cease and desist after you tell them to, then just cut them off.  Life is too short to be stuck with nasty folks who just happen to be relatives. I know some people who keep allowing themselves to be abused, insulted and hurt, and put up,with it because they are family and you have to stick with family.  NO! You don't.  Family has to earn respect just like everyone else.  Like Dr Phil says - you teach people how to treat you.

Also agree with you about Josh getting another really good album out there.  If this one lays an egg, his career is probably toast.  My second hand CD guy doesn't even buy Josh albums any more because they don't sell.

Did all of you see the interview with Josh on broadway.com a couple of days ago? Along with the usual stories about Josh's beginnings, there were a few new ones. Quite a lot of fun to watch. I usually give these things a quick glance and move on, but I actually watched the whole thing.

Yes, I am a champion conflict-avoider. My mom is relentless, though. I did the cut her off thing about 20 years ago, but after a year, I realized that she was fairly oblivious (as in, she knew I was upset but could not grasp why because she was RIGHT!).  We slowly rebuilt the relationship and she has avoided pushing the major hot button since then, although I've been aware that the impulse has been building for her over the past while. BUT on this last visit (a command performance, no less), I realized that she was going to "go there" again. And she did, no surprise. I told her in no uncertain terms that I was not going to do what she was demanding. Of course, then I had a barrage of calls from other family members to contend with. She had managed to convince them that I was going through something very self-destructive and that she feared for my life and safety. Anything for attention, I guess. Anyway, after that, I decided that the best way to take the pressure off the other family members, who all have troubles of their own, was to resume taking her calls each evening, but not to have face-to-face contact. This will become an issue this summer because there are some important family events coming up, and I don't want to have to miss them. In fact, for a couple of them, I had volunteered a long time ago to chauffeur her around. I am still in the process of working all of this out, but I think the key may be to not spend time alone with her if at all possible. And if she says inappropriate stuff to me afterwards, then I will have to re-assess what I will do. It's complicated by the fact that she is very elderly and not in the best of health. A friend reminded me that the mother I have now is not the mother I once had...unfortunately, she's always had a mean and relentless streak, but perhaps it is getting worse as her world gets smaller.

On a more cheerful note, I am going away for a few days to visit daughter and son-in-law and grand-cat. I am looking forward to seeing them!

Age has nothing to do with it.  Mean and controlling is a personality trait, and doesn't just come on or come on stronger as we age.  With people like that, you have to jump right on them the second they start up, and keep doing it until they stop.  I had an aunt who was a miserable critical b----, and everyone walked on eggs around her.  My mom and sister just put up with it to avoid scenes, but I am mean too when I have to be, and she generally left me alone.  I got on her case a few times when she was being nasty to them and told her to knock it off.  Then she went into the 'poor little me waterworks'.  I guess she figured that would get her sympathy, and it usually did.  But I told her to knock that off too, because it was not going to work.  I got in trouble from my parents for being rude, but I didn't care.  It just felt good.  I told my mom that maybe if she had got in her face early on, she would have avoided a lot of hurt feelings.  Maybe just tell your mom that if she doesn't behave, you won't be driving anywhere with her, and then do it.  Let her find her own ride.    Once should do it.   Once she sees that you are not kidding, she will smarten up.  As for the other family members, tell them that your mom is lying and leave it at that.  They can believe it or not - their choice.

I'm surprised that people think Josh's albums aren't doing well. My understanding is that the recording  industry isn't doing too well right now in general, but that, relative to the market, Stages did well. 

Compared to the six million that his first two albums each sold, half a million is a big step down.  People really liked that stuff.  Now I see his albums all the time at Value Village.  His sales on his real albums slowly went down.  Then he did Stages, which was geared to a different crowd.  His kind of music is not that popular any more, and similar artists like Sarah B, Bocelli and others are feeling the pinch too.  But I think he could still put out a blockbuster album with hits on it if he worked with Foster again.  They were good together.  Sales proved it.

Actual CD sales probably aren't doing that well, but people still buy online and stream a lot.  They do listen to music.  Since many music stores have closed around here - the giant HMV just closed down its last Canadian store last week - I buy from I-tunes too.  Best Buy doesn't carry CDs or DVDs any more.  Walmart still does, but the selection is limited.

People seem to be going back to vinyl now.I shant be as I still have a huge collection going back to the sixties that I woukd really like to sell.

As for Josh,he is not  as popular as he was.It really is his own fault as I think he went the wrong way with his career.Closer was,i think,the best record he ever made followed by Awake.After that everything seemed to change which brings me back to the subject of David Foster.He has had so many hits with so many people Josh should have stayed with him and given people what they like and want.shall not be buying the comet album.I still adore his voice but not singing show songs.

I think cd sales are pretty low as most people buy stuff online now. You can buy just one song too. I buy a lot of stuff second hand, so that doesn't help sales. I have seen that singers make their money by touring now over sales. Too easy to copy stuff. I see a lot of Josh and such at the thrift stores too. I don't know if this stuff isn't popular, so much as there isn't a lot of new stuff worth listening to. I don't even know what is going on in music right now as there is too much other stuff going on. I just can't pay attention to everything, even though I am always looking for new music.

I am having my happy mom free weekend. I slept in, then took a nap. Had to get up and let the dogs out. It's gone 1am and I am now doing laundry and am going to sleep in in the morning again. Mom isn't here to complain about me making noise after 8pm. Not that that stops me, but 8am isn't a bedtime, unless you are a kid being punished. 

I did manage to get a couple small things done today. I've gone thorough the giant pile of cd's I burned ages ago and tossed all the ones I don't want, which was most of them. They are all shows I wanted to watch, and did, but won't again. Not enough time. I also went through my DVD and blu-ray collection and am posting a giant pile of them for sale online. I buy many of them and watch them once and am done. I also looked online and they aren't really worth much at all. Sometimes I find them for a $1 and that's cheaper than renting, but I don't want to watch again. I have several series that I love and keep as I do a binge watch every once in a while. I am really trying to avoid a garage sale, but I have so much stuff again as I go through another layer of stuff that it may be worth it. I just wish we had a boot sale thing over here, but we don't, at least where I live.

My mouth is still sore. I went out tonight and got some anbesol. I also stopped at the pet store and got Lindell a tshirt. She has a big bald spot next her her right shoulder blade. I think mom's cat and she are playing too rough. It's not a place she has scratched off. It's like the hair was pulled out. So, now she has a tshirt she is going to wear so that hair can grow out. She is so funny to watch her move. She acts like she has a weight on her back.

Yes, you do have to train people how to treat you. It does take some time and effort. My mom is just always right, and then a victim is she's not. I wish sometimes I could roll my eyes back in my head in front of her.

Forgot to press post again yesterday.

I have stopped buying common CDS and DVDs, even at Value Village.  If the movie is on Tv a lot or on Netflix, I won't buy it.  There aren't many I watch over and over.  I do buy some box sets on occasion.  I am in the process of reaming out my collection too.  

Hey, Para- I remember that you liked the McGuyver series.  Do you have the box set of that?  I am seriously looking for Homicide - Life on the Street.  Great cop show that is not on our Netflix, nor has it been in reruns at all.  I would love to see it again.  It only came into Value Village once, and someone else got it.

One reason people don't buy hard copies of music anymore is because there are so few stores left with a good selection to buy.  Our last HMV store was a gem - three floors of great stuff, including hard to find things.  It will be missed.  They were a bit pricy.

I don't know why rolling one's eyes at a person pisses them off so much, but it does.  Used to really get my mom's goat.  That was why I did it.  We weren't allowed to  mouth off, so that was the next best thing.

It's a beautiful day here, but it will be very windy. Spring brings us all sorts of weather. Tomorrow I am taking off for dental work. Then Wednesday afternoon it's off to the doctor's for blood tests and b/p check. Should be super fun. Been trying to get hold of my office manager in person, as she likes to be told that way I will be gone, but she's been gone and

I still buy cd's and dvd's. CD's are really cheap at the thrift stores and since I am always looking for new music, that's a really cheap way to get it. DVD's can be found for a buck or two and that's cheaper than renting, so if I find something interesting, then I go for it. I've been tossing them in a cupboard and just didn't realize how many I have and haven't watched in ages and just don't have the desire to watch now. So I am going to sell them and add to my vacation fund. Any little bit helps for sure.

I still have a few records and cassette tapes. I play them once in a blue moon, but my turntable hooks up to the computer so I can record the LP's, complete with genuine record noise. It's nice. They are so cheap and they have a free stack at the store, so I grab a few of those. You never know what you are going to get or like.

The problem with Netflix and others is that shows come and go. If people aren't watching them enough, then they go off. Jess was watching Bones from the beginning, and a few episodes in, the month ended and the firs three seasons were no longer available. So, I think it's worth having your own copies of favorite series. Usually can find them for cheap somewhere second hand.

I still love MacGyver, but I don't own the DVD's. I thought about it, but I wouldn't really watch them as I don't want to ruin the memory of the show. It was cheesy for sure and once they stopped focusing on him and instead turned to the troubled teens, it became tedious at times. I don't have enough time to watch the stuff I have on the DVR, so I don't get to watch stuff as much as I would like. I would be firmly planted in front of the tv 24/7 if I did. I do enjoy tv.

When Calls the Heart is over for the season. I hate that they only make a few episodes a year. The Good Witch starts next week. Also a good series. Most everything now makes just 8 to 12 episodes. Problem with that is that people aren't able to turn down other work to star in a short series. One of the main characters for Heart was missing the last three or four eps as he was off doing other series. Wasn't even in the season finale.

Rolling your eyes is a sign of disrespect. We weren't allowed to do it. I don't allow the kids to do it. I know all kids do it though. Adults too.

I went to Comet. There was an even called GrobCon2017.  I didn't hear about it in time to go to the dinner, but I did hear about it in time to get the last seat on stage for the show and I got to have dinner with some other Grobies after the show.

I did stand by the stage door and got LOTS of autographs.  I gave Josh a copy of my new single and I asked him to save the community bulletin boards.  He answered "I should."

At dinner, Marie told me that she had spoken with Gabrielle, who is now the support person for these boards.  She apparently told Marie that she thinks these boards are going away soon.

I need to write a review of this second trip to the show.

I do like the show.  

I think the other performers left the space in the middle over the title of the show for Josh to autograph.  Josh waited for most of the other performers to leave and then came out with Lucas.  I can just imagine those who allege that he's gay having a field day with that.