Photo

Does Josh write lyrics in Italian, French, and Spanish?

Foreign language lyrics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Maggielee999

Maggielee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

Does Josh write the lyrics for his songs that are in Italian, French, and Spanish or does someone else do the translations from English lyrics he writes? I know he writes the melodies but have always wondered about the non-English lyrics.

#2 ISY

ISY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I think someone else writes those.I don,t think Josh is that fluent in any language,like most of us...........Irene

#3 Maggielee999

Maggielee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks...that's what I figured, although I did read some place today that he is fluent in French. He certainly has mastered the accents for all the languages he sings in. I can always recognize if he's singing in French, Italian, and Spanish, but unfortunately don't recognize songs in Portuguese and Latin. I have to look at the words in the CD insert and use Google Translate to determine the language.

Thanks again for your quick reply!

#4 Claramusician

Claramusician

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

The portuguese song he has tried only once, and Carlinhos Brown has helped him with the portuguese lyrics. Most of brazilians don't like Carlinhos Brown, and his lyrics did not make so much sense even for us, but that's an usual thing about him... I wish Josh could try sing more times in portuguese, he did a great job and got improve it with time!!!!

It would be lovely to see him singing in my native language more times... I personally like the song althought I know the other brazilian fans' arguments have really good reasons to be.

Kisses and warm hugs!
Clara:
Josh's Cellist Angel,
Proud Grobie Daughter to Kathy and Grobiesister to Amy Beth, Carli, Marcela, Siena, Yadira, Jennifer, Jazmine, Hannah, Caleigh, Ves, Vanessa, Diana, Karen, Amy, Anni, Shannon, Amy (woo4josh), Mae, Lissa, Lexxa, Colette, Mary, Tracy, Ashley, Anita, Fabio, Aileen, Salome, Celia, Liz, Diane, Gaby, Amanda, Rosaria, Daisy, Johanna, Liez, Chiara, Lynn, Britt, Anelen, Elena, Mary, Jaimee, Cat Kaye C., Anna, Daniela, Jennan, Erin, Emy, Marion, Nancy (Am I missing someone???) and who else wish!

Posted Image

#5 epalist

epalist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Josh co-writes the lyrics, too, but they are then translated into whatever language he wants to sing in, and I'm sure they work together on the sound of them back and forth until he gets what he wants, and he makes sure they say what he wants, as well.

Of course, some of them wind up staying in English, as well!

Clear back to when he co-wrote Per Te, he has said the music side is his stronger side, but he has written some really extraordinary songs, so...it's one of those "I can't dance" kinda things. Yeah, right!

But then you catch him... :ph34r: ;) :P :wub:

Developing a sense of universal responsibility helps us to become sensitive to all others, not just those closest to us.
Dalai Lama - Twitter

Please don't play SOOOO LOUDLY
that the people who
*NEED* Josh
can't be heard!
:/

#6 Maggielee999

Maggielee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for your great answer! I now remember him saying after he wrote Illuminations that he was better at creating the music than writing the lyrics, which is why he usually worked with a coauthor for the lyrics. When I looked at the CD insert for All That Echoes I noticed there was an Italian lyricist listed as a coauthor for the Italian songs and there was a Hispanic name listed as a coauthor for the Spanish song.

What puzzled me is how they did the translations...did he just write the lyrics in English and run them thru Google Translate, or did someone help with the translations? It makes so much sense that he would work with a lyricist who spoke the language that he wanted to use and that they would massage the lyrics so they sounded beautiful in another language and yet preserved the meaning of the song.

I would love to get inside his mind to understand why he picks the language he does for each song :-)!

I am happily listening to All That Echoes...it is wonderful!....and looking forward to his theatre concert this evening!! Go Josh!,

#7 Maggielee999

Maggielee999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

For some reason I can't respond to Claramusician from Rio directly, but I also enjoyed your reply and perspective. It must have been wonderful for you to her him sing in Portuguese, since it is also a beautiful language for songs. I found it especially interesting that most Brazilians didn't like the lyricist who did the translation and said that the words didn't even make sense to native speakers.

Thanks for the great insight...I hope he does more songs in Portuguese...you must enjoy hearing a song in your language as much as I enjoy hearing Andrea Bocelli (my other favorite singer) sing in English, although I am slowing learning Italian from reading the translations of his songs. I must admit though that all the songs in Italian are especially beautiful...it truly seems like Italian is the language of love.

I was lucky enough to see Josh's Straight to You tour and even shook his hand as he walked in! I also just saw Andrea Bocelli in concert in November, and both concerts were amazing. I can't wait for Josh's next tour!!

#8 Claramusician

Claramusician

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Perhaps because there's such a long time I don't clean up my inbox! lol No time enough to do that! I'm sorry! :P

Carlinhos Brown isn't such a passion between Brazilians... But his father-in-law (I guess) Chico Buarque is one of our greatest lyricists.. Plus, Josh could pretty weel ask for a help of a brazilian lyricist fan!!! ;P *cough,cough* hahahahahha

But yes, that was the reaction between the brazilian public... I think that's another good reason for Josh to try singing another brazilian portuguese song! ;) Anyways, we can not deny that Carlinhos Brown was a genius on the percussion matter! I think it matched perfectly well with the strings! I particularly liked the song, but I am more than suspect to say anything about it! hahah

But I do agree with Epalist: He first writes the song in english and then ask to someone native in the language he wantsto sing in to help him to translate into the language and with the pronounce of the words...

Kisses and warm hugs!
Clara:
Josh's Cellist Angel,
Proud Grobie Daughter to Kathy and Grobiesister to Amy Beth, Carli, Marcela, Siena, Yadira, Jennifer, Jazmine, Hannah, Caleigh, Ves, Vanessa, Diana, Karen, Amy, Anni, Shannon, Amy (woo4josh), Mae, Lissa, Lexxa, Colette, Mary, Tracy, Ashley, Anita, Fabio, Aileen, Salome, Celia, Liz, Diane, Gaby, Amanda, Rosaria, Daisy, Johanna, Liez, Chiara, Lynn, Britt, Anelen, Elena, Mary, Jaimee, Cat Kaye C., Anna, Daniela, Jennan, Erin, Emy, Marion, Nancy (Am I missing someone???) and who else wish!

Posted Image