Photo

is it just me, or is anyone else upset about the price of the front row seats?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#21 upstatescjgfan

upstatescjgfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

Can I say, very quietly and not as any sort of complaint, that I am feeling a little bit ill at the prices that you are all talking about. They might be all understandable etc, but they are still huge to me. $90 is one of the cheap ones? If the prices are similar in the UK I will not be able to go. I thank my lucky stars (and Josh) that I was able to go to the wonderful pre-concert in London. It was an amazing (and reasonably priced) experience that I will never forget, and is starting to look like it might be my only chance to see him.

And yes, there are a lot of expenses in there, but you are talking of many thousands of seats per venue. That adds up pretty fast, and I'm thinking there are people who will be raking it in somewhere.

Julia, the prices vary by venue, but I think much of what they are talking about are the 'package deal' prices. Apparently the front row seats are all $300 and up (!! out of MY league). Then most? all? of the seats in rows 2-?? are reserved for the gold and silver packages, that apparently also include cutesy memorabilia crap, access to junk food snacks, and access to sale tables of official merchandise without being trampled by thousands of other fans at the venue. I'm not sure on the package stuff; I can't find the descriptions here (I am basing my comments on descriptions of the Awake tour "VIP packages"), so don't know if it was supposed to be a FOJG thing or what. After THAT, there are two levels of regular seat prices. I think the lower cost (less desirable) tickets are in the $55 -$75 range, and the higher cost tickets are in the $80-$90 range, but then there are venue taxes, venue fees, ticketmaster fees, etc. that add $10-$15 or more to the cost of each ticket.

It does sound like someone, somewhere, is raking in an awful lot of money, but people at every level -- the venues, the promoters, etc. -- deny it.
Jan

Whatever you do for yourself dies with you; whatever you do for others lives on, and is immortal. -- Albert Pine

Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.” -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

#22 paracelsus51

paracelsus51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

The costs do vary widely for tickets by venue as do fees. The tickets are quite expensive, as are all tickets now and many people are priced out of the market. I look at it as we are customers and as long as we pay the given amount, they figure the cost is fair enough. They are business people and look at profit, not the individual. It is a privilege to hear Josh sing, but it's also a privileged life we provide him with our monetary support. There is a line that public folks have to walk. It may not be his decision on all costs or some other things, but being the boss, the fault lands squarely on him.

A fair complaint about the VIP packages is that the rows they reserve, with the exception of the front row package, vary by venue. They also sell some of those same seats at regular price. How would you feel if the people around you paid regular ticket price for seats in your row or in front of you and you paid twice as much or more?

You can go to the venue here or call them, but they are logged on to ticketmaster doing the same thing you would do on your computer at home. Our smaller venues sell their own tickets.
''I'm okay now. I can take care of myself. I don't mind a little jab now and then.''-JG
"...avoiding people's sensitivities is not the primary goal of a leader." -Tim Kaine
"Choices, freely made, are what make life meaningful." -John Horgan
Just so I can remember, fan since 2004.

#23 eblovesjosh

eblovesjosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

Problem is that you can't go online and expect to get the first couple of rows. Rarely happens. With some of the packages, it is guaranteed. Normally, I would go to two or three shows. This time I am going to only one. So I decided to treat myself to front row with what I would have saved. Not counting travel expenses. I was in and done in two minutes, and no throwing back of crappy seats. I kind of like this. But it is a personal choice. Extra shows or front row seat.

MailAttachment_zps50728555.gif

#24 kid4evr

kid4evr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hummmm... Well worth the price to see my fav in concert. Got pretty good seats thru the presale at Staples Center in LA. would have loved front row, but have to stay within my means and what I can afford... being in the same room and breathing the same air as JG is all that matters.

Thought I would poke around at other ticket selling sights, and I actually got a great, if not fantastic deal thru pre-sale! So stoked... My seats if not
purchased thru the JG site was selling for $300-600.

Can't wait for August to roll around! I agree with most of the replies... logical and makes sense to me.....

Posted Image

“I still like to keep all the love songs for the Grobanites,
I like to make sure that they know those are just for them.”

....... Josh Groban

#25 Galilbit

Galilbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Not sure if this will make you feel better, but I just bought tickets through the presale and DIDN'T buy the package but still got 2nd row anyway. The price of the tickets isn't in Josh's control. If you follow the music industry, the performers tend to make the most money off of the sale of merchandise since the promoters get a huge chunk of ticket revenue. Here's a really interesting articleabout U2 that was very enlightening. I just read an article recently that now the record companies are forcing artists into new contracts taking a bigger cut of the normal merchandising proceeds....I guess most are losing money now that everything is going digital/online.

that is probably WAY more than you wanted to know LOL I will say this about Josh. He genuinely appears to care more about his fans than most musicians (as evidenced by the extension of ticket sales today after the site crashed yesterday...he could have just ignored it and made everyone wait...would have made the same amount of money)

Hope y'all can make the tour :)

Elizabeth

#26 imzadi39

imzadi39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Like I said before, for me, it's impossible to see him in concert unless he came to Sioux Falls. Even if he came to Minneapolis, MN, it's still a no-go. There's gas involved in getting there and back, the price of the tickets, the cost for a motel room for the night, and eating expenses, plus anything I wanted to buy at the concert. That all adds up to money I don't have. So I'll just have to be grateful for his CD's and vids on Youtube that I can listen to.
John 3:16

Posted Image
(made for me by the wonderful KJ on yahoo)

Posted Image

#27 Violet

Violet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

I was disappointed with the prices. Would have loved to have bought a first section floor seat, but I'm happy with what I got. At least I should be able to see him as a person and not a speck on the stage.

I was checking out New Kids on the Block front row seats and in one venue they are going for $695 a SEAT! Yeah, $695 for one front row seat. Of course, that includes a backstage pass, but I'm sorry, even if I had the money, I'd never pay that much to meet anyone - not even Josh.

Posted Image Don't give up. . .Posted Image I AM there.
[used by permission]
[Rules to live and love by]

__________________________________________________________________________________
Live simply. Hug often. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. . . leave the rest to God.

#28 eblovesjosh

eblovesjosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

Josh's VIP prices were very reasonable. Streisand's had much the same perks, but they were 1500.00 top price. What I paid for a front row seat for Josh got me a seat a lot further back for her. It didn't matter. It was Streisand's first and only Toronto concert, and I was determined to go. She did not disappoint - I loved it.

#29 JessiAnn22

JessiAnn22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

Those front row prices are nowhere near what I've seen for other artists! It's $600 for Bon Jovi at the ones I've seen.

#30 eblovesjosh

eblovesjosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

Anyone know if U2 did the package deal? They have that stupid mosh pit thing happening down the front where everybody has to stand all night. Not MY idea of fun. Although I love them to death, I didn't go this tour because they played HUGE venues where even the closest seats were far back. Same with AC/DC, whom I would have loved to see. But they sold out several nights in a 55,000 seat ball park - actually both groups did, and U2 is coming back this summer for another one. For that kind of money, I like to at least see the performers and not just on a TV screen.

#31 kat53

kat53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:09 AM

I was torn between ordering tickets for Toronto or Ottawa, as i live somewhere in the middle {a couple of hours drive} I decided on Ottawa..I had everything ready..code copied and pasted, and everything went smoothly , until I looked at the price for 3 front row tickets..I was prepared for the 335 apiece, but the total came up 1670 dollars..I almost passed out..they are front row center..pushed the ok button anyway as I did not want to lose these seats.....called the ticket venue, not TM, and they did confirm that I was overcharged over 600 dollars.. although still expensive..not as much as priced per ebay, and the money is going to the people who deserve it, not scalpers.. I can't wait until July!

#32 kid4evr

kid4evr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

OK.

Calmed down. Joined FOJG.
Bought ticket via Ticketmaster with code provided.
Tickets are on Will Call.

Dull way to get a ticket.

No watching sunrise while riding busses.
No sun shinning off buildings.
No lines to stand on and fellow Grobanites to talk to.
No ticket to stare at until Aug 20th.....lololololol

Just fill in required info and watch clock ticking down while you make the choices and fill out info.

I stand on line in Smith's all the time. Not this time.

Now looking forward to Aug 20th!!! :D

Kit

I sent an email to ticketmaster to change my tickets from will call to mail, and they are mailing my tickets, rather have them now than wait to do will call...worked for me.. maybe you can get them mailed too....

Posted Image

“I still like to keep all the love songs for the Grobanites,
I like to make sure that they know those are just for them.”

....... Josh Groban

#33 Kitchencanary

Kitchencanary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hello kid4evr!

Welcome to Grobania where everything is possible!

Thank you for the info about Will Call.

It seems the older I get the crankier I get when things change. Nothing stops change.

After the past 3 years I should know better then to get so bent out of shape about having to go thru TM and will call. On reflection and acceptance (again!) it's faith that got me that ticket. (Oh and also re-joining FOJG and going thru TM) And it's going to be with faith that I will wait until concert day to get my "for real" ticket.

Meanwhile I just keep staring at the receipt and still can't believe how close I'm going to be to the stage. First time for everything! And for me - Josh could not have picked a better week to appear here in Vegas. I will be able to really, really, really hear "THE VOICE" and see him up close and personal. ;)

Hope they don't decide to tape this one - when I went to the Foster and Friends one I could see all those camera men on dollies going back and forth in front of all the people. ( I was up on lower level in back - felt sorry for them).

The Grand Arena will never be the same after this concert! :D

See you all on Aug 20th!!!

Kit

Posted ImageGROBANITES WORLD-WIDE ARE THE GREATEST!!! Posted Image

"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
Helen Keller

"I expect to pass through life but once.
If therefore, there be any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it,
as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

YOU CAN HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

#34 Kitchencanary

Kitchencanary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Hi Everybody,

Seems strange, thinking about Josh and the past 10 years.
10 years ago I was hoping and begging to be around to still hear Josh's "VOICE" with "Maturity in it".

Now, I'm begging and wanting to be around for the next 10 so I can hear Josh's "VOICE" with even "More MATURITY and a bit of Aging". Josh at 40!!!!

Sorry for being selfish - of course I'll share him with all of you...... :lol: ;)

Kit

(This ramble should be in another topic - but I don't know which one - sorry again) :)

Posted ImageGROBANITES WORLD-WIDE ARE THE GREATEST!!! Posted Image

"When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
Helen Keller

"I expect to pass through life but once.
If therefore, there be any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it,
as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

YOU CAN HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

#35 Alan Huddart

Alan Huddart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

Just a point about front row seats - I attend a lot of concerts and have had front row seats and some that were way up in the clouds! In some cases I have had a better experience further back as you can get a better overall view of the stage a few rows back - sometimes the front seats offer a restricted view...and make for a sore neck!

I was surprised at the number of US shows on the tour - it's a punishing schedule already and there's still the rest of the world to fit in!

Alan
[size="4"][font="Palatino Linotype"][size="4"][color="#4B0082"]Alan Huddart

#36 paracelsus51

paracelsus51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

He does do a lot of shows, but he seems to be able to handle it. He's given great performances even when he was sick. It's his job.

The OCD in me wants the perfect ticket. I have a budget too, which is lame. I would like the front row one time to have the experience, but that's a lot of money, even though it's not as much as some other performers. At least this time we got a chance at them, but I still think each venue should have had the same rules for what rows were and were not packages. I will probably get to go to two concerts since some of my family lives near the another venue. Still, so very, very tempted, especially today when I am really kind of bored. Keep checking in to see what is available. My other choice is to listen to the radio and win some tickets. I have row six, which is really good, if they enforce the no billboard rule, otherwise half the show is blocked by someone or another.
''I'm okay now. I can take care of myself. I don't mind a little jab now and then.''-JG
"...avoiding people's sensitivities is not the primary goal of a leader." -Tim Kaine
"Choices, freely made, are what make life meaningful." -John Horgan
Just so I can remember, fan since 2004.

#37 eblovesjosh

eblovesjosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Josh has often said he thrives on touring - everything is so organized and he knows where he is going to be at any given time. I think a chef was on the last tour, so they ate well, and slept on the bus, which is a rolling hotel room. I hope he takes Sweeney along this time too. He factors in some days off so he can just relax and have fun. And David is there to monitor the voice. I think his promo schedule has been really hectic - I don't know how he does it, but he said if he didn't love it, he would not do it.

#38 flashy_mbm

flashy_mbm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

Just would like to add to the discussion of ticket pricing.
Para: I agree with you that even though Josh himself does not set the ticket pricing, there is much more he could be doing to make sure his fans get good seats. After all, he is the performer and there are things he can do to make sure his fans get good seats without them having to pay exhorbitant prices for them.

it used to be that venues did not have outrageous prices for the best seats in the house. Back then, there were only 2 or 3 different price levels depending on the section you sat in. Front row or orchestra pit sections were the same price as the other seats in the front floor sections. Of course, back then, you stood in line to purchase tickets or called in, and scalpers paid people to do that for them so that they could get hold of the choice seats and sell them later at a premium. Now, the venues and promoters want more profit, so they sell these packages, which in my opinion, is just as bad as scalping, but they are just sanitizing the practice, trying to make it seem palatable and thereby acceptable to the public. That's an outrage and a ripoff which preys on the fans, and performers who care about their fans should not condone it.

If Josh really wanted his fans to get great seats without price gouging them with outrageous and meaningless package deal crap, he could do what other perfromers have done in the past to protect their fans. What these performers did was have thier management procure a given number of the best seats at each venue for fan club members to purchase. Each member would be mailed a coded coupon so they could purchase a limited number of tickets, usually 4, that they would either take to the respective box office and present when tickets went on sale so they would be able to select choice seats or they could mail them in, in which case seat selection was based on the postmark, where the earliest postmark was fulfilled first. This was a very fair way to do it and fan club members paid the face value of the ticket. A first row ticket cost the same as 15th row etc. I got excellent seats on many occasions this way, and even if the venue held a lottery, which they often did to determine who got to purchase their tickets first and help prevent scalping, I still got great seats. One time, I was practically the last person to go in the lottery, and after waiting form 8am to 3 in the afternoon for my turn, I was still able to get the 10th row center after hundreds of people had purchased ahead of me.

That system worked. I never had to pay exhorbitant prices for tickets, and my seats were usually within the first 6 rows, and sometimes in the orchestra pit, which for those of you who are not familiar with that term, is a very small section of rows right at the stage in the center, in front of the first row of a section.

For those of you who want to try for better seats, another tactic is to go down to the venue a couple of hours before the show and wait for house seats to be released. Those are seats the venue holds back for VIPs that they release just before the show. They are usually sold at face value. If you go this route, I suggest you call the venue ahead and check out their policy on it first.

#39 theboyzmommom

theboyzmommom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

I can't complain about the ticket cost, because I won mine on a radio show!! ;) But actually, that's where I was blessed, because honestly I wouldn't have been able to go otherwise, because I couldn't afford the ticket costs...
Posted Image
Straight To You 2011 Tour - New Orleans 5/12/11, Tampa 10/28/11, and Orlando 10/29/11.

Countdown To TAMPA!

#40 eblovesjosh

eblovesjosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

Everyone seems to be doing that VIP thing now. If it puts the best seats in the hands of fans, and not scalpers, I can live with that. Fans have been getting better seats lately than they ever got before. And the lining up thing no longer works. At least not here. Stores do not want lines of often rowdy ticket buyers lining up for hours or days to get tickets. So they have a lottery system to see who gets in first. They draw a ticket - that person goes in first. Then they go in by ticket number after that. So you could be first in the line, but get in last. It is awful - I will never do that again.

Josh's regular tickets aren't expensive, compared to many other big artists. To see Prince, U2 or Madonna, you will pay three times what Josh charges. many venues do not do first day sales any more either. And about those last minute seats - always a line-up for those. There were none for the BWB show here. Some friends of mine tried.